It’s time for another tasty edition of Loooooooove Your Leftovers! If I can help even just a few of my snobbiest of leftover snob friends out in the process, then I consider this one a total win.
Our last leftover re-mix featured turning Taco Night leftovers into a deliciously speedy Taco Soup. Trust me, you’ve got to try it! The variations are endless and since we’re essentially making a taco soup out of all our favorite taco night components, it’s a recipe for success!
Since I posted my go-to healthy chili recipe yesterday it seemed only fitting that I share my absolute favorite thing to do with the leftovers:
Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I should note that I’m fighting the urge to abandon ship on this post so I can make one right now! We made another huge pot of chili Sunday because the last batch didn’t last nearly as long as I had hoped it would – we devoured it! I’ll hold out a few minutes longer so I can get this recipe into your face.
Feel free to whip these up any which way you desire, by the way. It’s more of a meal idea than a strict recipe and can be tweaked to fit any dietary guidelines. From vegetarian to vegan to t-rex and, of course, they’re gloriously gluten-free!
Ready to stuff some veggies into veggies!? Of course you are!
Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Yield 1 serving
These savory stuffed sweet potatoes are a great way to use up leftover chili the next day! Make one for lunch or serve the whole family by turning this tasty dish into a sweet potato bar with all your favorite toppings!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 heaping cup of leftover chili [recipe]
- all your favorite toppings!
- TOPPING OPTIONS:
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- salsa or pico de gallo
- guacamole or diced avocado
- sliced or diced jalapenos
- crushed tortilla chips
- crumbled corn bread
- fritos corn chips
- hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- fresh parsley
- chopped green onion
- black beans
- any and all veggies you can get your hands on
- I USED:
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
- 1-2 TBSP plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- Microwave [or bake!] your sweet potato until it's hot and fluffy and reheat your chili.
- Slice vertically and pinch the sides to create a bowl in the center.
- Fill with a piping hot scoop of your favorite chili and pile on the toppings!
- Now grab a fork and dig in!
- How easy was that!?
I wrote out the instructions for one, but feel free to make 2, 3, even four of these sassy spuds! I typically keep all the ingredients on hand and have them for super speedy lunches throughout the week. They can also be prepped for grab and go work lunches!
Let’s get a little up close and personal, shall we?
Don’t forget the homemade cornbread!
Ahhh I want one now!
Make sure you whip up a delicious batch of your favorite chili (or your new favorite – my chili recipe!) and make one of these killer spuds, stat! Or two. Or three…
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a date with a chili stuffed sweet potato!
No chili handy? No problem! You can still partake in some stuffed spud action with any and all of your favorite leftovers. Here are a few more of my favorite recipes to stuff into a spud:
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries + Feta
- Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls
- Cranberry Quinoa Salad with Homemade Candied Walnuts
- Bacon Sriracha Cauliflower Gratin
This delicousness is part of my Love Your Leftovers blog series.