This cozy vegetarian Black Bean Quinoa Chili is full of flavor! It’s a one pot wonder with both stove top and slow cooker instructions.
I’m on a quest to make alllllllll the chilis.
This black bean quinoa version is super healthy and chock full of whole food ingredients. As written it’s vegetarian, gluten-free, and vegan. I’ve included both vegan and vegetarian topping ideas so you can your favorites and have fun with it!
Because life can be chaotic, I’ve included both stove top and slow cooker instructions. Both methods work great!
- black beans
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- canned tomato sauce
- avocado oil or olive oil
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
If you’re like me and love a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder in your chili (I tried it once years ago and can’t make chili without it – so good) feel free to add 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder plus any extra to taste. Delish!
Extra mix ins like corn or kidney beans are also awesome here if you’d like your chili even chunkier. Have fun with it!
Tasty Chili Toppings
- sliced jalapeños (fresh or pickled)
- sour cream (regular or vegan)
- sliced or cubed avocado
- fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (skip for vegan)
- sliced olives
- fritos corn chips
- fresh cilantro
- chopped scallions
- tortilla chips or strips
Another fun serving suggestion is to plate this Black Bean Quinoa Chili on a fluffy baked sweet potato. I usually do this with my leftover chili the next day for lunch.
Thent with all your favorite toppings from the list above and dive in! It gives the chili a rice sweet potato chili vibe and is super duper filling and comforting – perfect for a chilly day!
Or should I say CHILI day!?
*hides behind the sofa in shame*
We chili it up a LOT around here – some of my past creations are also gloriously vegetarian with some vegan options too!
Vegetarian Chili Recipes
- NEW! Slow Cooker Lentil Taco Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Vegan Lentil Chili – Instant Pot + Slow Cooker
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
Slow Cooker + Stove Top Black Bean Quinoa Chili
I’m so excited for you to try this tasty black bean quinoa chili! It’s great the first day and, thanks to chili magic, even better the next!
Can I freeze this chili?
Heck yes you can! I love to portion and freeze bowls of chili for later, since tucking away some healthy “fast food” for later is always an epic time-saver! Simply freeze sans toppings for up to one month.
Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper , diced
- 2 jalapeños , diced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic , peeled, smashed, and minced
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika (regular or smoked)
- 1 tsp salt , plus extra to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cans black beans (15 oz each) drained and rinsed
- 15 oz plain tomato sauce (one can)
- 14 oz petite diced tomatoes (one can) add whole thing
- ½-1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup uncooked quinoa
TASTY TOPPING OPTIONS
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- chopped fresh cilantro
- pico de gallo
- sour cream (vegan or regular)
- grated cheese (vegan or regular)
- corn chips
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- Measure out ingredients and dice veggies. For less spicy chili use a spoon to remove seeds and pith from jalapeños before dicing.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tsp oil and sauté onion and peppers until tender.
- Add garlic and spices and sauté for another minute.
- Drain and rinse black beans then add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (liquid and all), uncooked quinoa, and vegetable broth. Start with just 1/2 cup vegetable broth as you can always add extra later if desired.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice if needed. If you have extra time and would like to cook on low for even longer, go for it!
- Taste and season with any additional spices desired. Extra mix ins like corn or kidney beans are also awesome here if you'd like your chili even chunkier. Have fun with it!
- All that's left to do is portion into bowls, pile on your choice of toppings from the list above, and enjoy! Leftover chili reheats like a dream the next day if you end up with extra.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Add all the chili ingredients to your slow cooker and stir it up. Start with just 1/2 cup vegetable broth as you can always add extra later if desired.
- Seal slow cooker lid and cook on high for approx. 2.5-3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. Keep an eye on it towards the last hour or so to see if you need a little extra broth.
- Taste and season with any additional spices desired. Extra mix ins like corn or kidney beans are also awesome here if you'd like your chili even chunkier. Portion into bowls, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this vegetarian black bean quinoa chili recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Chili and Cornbread FTW!
- READER FAVORITE: Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- Chili Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Cheesy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Cornbread Muffins
- Cornbread Waffles via Rhubarbarians
- Fluffy Bakery-Style Cornbread Muffins
- Easy Cheesy Vegetarian Chili Cheese Dip
Check out my Chili and Cornbread Recipe Roundup for even more tasty recipes.