These Mini Cornbread Muffins are fluffy and flavorful! Enjoy them with a big bowl of soup or chili or on their own for a tasty snack!
My love for all things cornbread runneth over.
While Paul insists it should only be served with chili, the chickpea and I will happily scarf our cornbread for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I love it with soups, hearty vegetarian chili, creamy pasta dishes, and straight up for breakfast or a snack.
These mini cornbread muffins are cute enough to pile on top of your favorite bowl-o-comfort or for easy peasy snacking all day long.
Even better? They’re freezer friendly too!
I made the mistake of putting a small basket of these mini muffins on the table last week and my kiddo must have thought it was a challenge because before I knew it, they were GONE!
I’m not sure if she’s a 6 year old or a bear.
Slather fresh from the oven muffins with butter and/or honey. You can even get fancy by spiking your butter with cinnamon, cinnamon sugar, or pumpkin pie spice blend (YUM!)
For a festive fall twist on mini cornbread muffins, use my Pumpkin Cornbread recipe in place of the recipe below.
Mini Cornbread Muffins
These fluffy cornbread muffins get a boost from Greek yogurt and a wee bit of vinegar, which turns a measuring cup of milk and yogurt into a dreamy, creamy buttermilk in minutes! Thanks to this trick, I haven’t bought buttermilk in years!
Another trick I use is to place my mini muffin tin on top of a large rimmed baking sheet. It prevents the bottoms from over browning and keeps the muffins nice and tender. For crispier bottoms simply skip the baking sheet and put the muffin tin right on the center rack of the oven.
Mini Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375°F and move rack to center position.
- Prep your mini muffin tins by spritzing with a healthy spray oil or rubbing with butter. Parchment muffin liners may be used if preferred.
- Combine yogurt, milk, and vinegar. Mix with a fork and set aside to allow mixture to thicken.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in sugar. Whisk until well blended.
- Next, quickly add your eggs and beat until well incorporated.
- Add in milk mixture and stir.
- Next add your cornmeal mixture and beat until very few lumps remain.
- Transfer batter into a large spouted measuring cup for easy pouring, then pour into prepared muffin tin(s).
- I like to place my mini muffin tin on top of a large rimmed baking sheet. It prevents the bottoms from over browning and keeps the muffins nice and tender. For crispier bottoms simply skip the baking sheet and put the muffin tin right on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake on center rack for approx. 15-17 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to test for doneness around the 15 minute mark. If it comes out clean the muffins are ready!
If you get a chance to try these mini cornbread muffins, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
more marvelous muffin recipes
Have fresh cranberries handy? Try my tasty Banana Cranberry Muffins!
On a savory note, these Cheddar Muffins are spiked with basil and scallions and oh so tasty!