Fluffy homemade Pumpkin Cornbread kissed with a tasty blend of brown butter, pumpkin, and pumpkin spice.
I’ve been making my classic cornbread recipe for ages now. It’s SO GOOD and never let’s me down!
With Fall temps on the horizon (HURRY UP FLORIDA!) I decided to play mad scientist in the kitchen and add pumpkin to my cornbread.
Since it’s a lightly sweet cornbread recipe to begin with, a little pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice blend were all I needed to give some fall flavor to this fluffy cornbread!
Of course I didn’t stop there! Browning the butter first gave this cornbread a fragrant nuttiness that totally sets it over the top.
The moment we pulled it out of the oven it. was. ON.
My husband, daughter, and I could not stop shoving this pumpkin cornbread in our faces!
Saving a few slices to pair with chili the following day took every ounce of self-control we had.
I can’t wait to make it again!
I’m so super excited for you to try this recipe! Leave me a comment or tag me on social media if you get a chance!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prep an 8×8 inch square pan by rubbing with butter or coconut oil.
- Combine milk and vinegar. Mix and set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice blend, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet over medium heat, brown your butter. Let your butter melt untouched, then once it starts to simmer with little brown flecks at the bottom, whisk constantly until butter is lightly golden and fragrant.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in sugar. Whisk until well blended.
- Add in milk mixture and pumpkin puree and stir.
- Next, add your eggs and beat with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Lastly, add your cornmeal mixture and whisk until very few lumps remain.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. (Mine is always done in 30) Insert a toothpick in the center to test for doneness. If it comes out clean the cornbread is ready! Place on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing and serving.
Cornbread Freezer Instructions
Need to save some of this pumpkin spice cornbread for later? It’s totally freezer friendly!
Once bread has cooled to room temperature, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and cover with foil. I like to protect mine even further by popping it in a zipped freezer bag, writing the name and date on the front.
To defrost, allow bread (still wrapped) to come to room temperature for about 6 hours left out or thaw in the fridge overnight. Next remove the plastic wrap and return the foil to the bread. Bake in oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
If you get a chance to try this tasty pumpkin cornbread, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation!
pumpkin all the things!
- Brown Butter Pumpkin Grits
- Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers
- Pumpkin Spice Streusel Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Sugar Streusel
I want to try Izzy’s Pumpkin Quesadillas next – so fun!
I miiiiight have been bitten by the pumpkin spice bug this season, so keep an eye our for more pumpkin-kissed goodies here on the blog!