These tasty Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers are quick, easy, and a total crowd pleaser! Each veggie burger is vegan, gluten-free, freezer-friendly and 100% delicious!
If you’ve been reading this vegetable lovin’ little food blog of mine for a while, you’re probably no stranger to my veggie burger obsession. I make my favorites on repeat and keep a few tucked in the freezer at all times. In fact, each time I create a new one for Peas and Crayons I double the batch to feed both the freezer and my family.
In case of emergency, break glass and defrost veggie burger!
minus the glass
The first few vegtastic burgers get the classic burger treatment with a toasted bun and mountain of toppings while the leftovers are baked to crispy perfection and crumbled over salads, sweet potatoes, or turned into the tastiest of lettuce wraps. Reinventing leftovers has never been so fun! It’s like a completely different meal each time, and so delicious we never tire of these veg-tastic patties.
My most recent creation is a pumpkin and white bean fusion laced with bold, smoky chipotle peppers and a blend of spices. It’s not quite spicy (though you can amp up the heat and make it spicy!) but is certainly intense! These tasty veggie burgers have a duo of chipotle flavor in both the burger and the sauce and are topped with a delicate mountain of greens and a buttery avocado smash.
It’s SO legit.
Too legit, even.
Too legit to qu– I’ll go sit in the corner now.
:: in a rush? pin it for later ::
Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers
Easy peasy veggie burgers bursting with Fall flavor!
Make them, asap!
Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers
- 1 TBSP ground flax seed
- 3 TBSP water
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 TBSP chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed/minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt-free Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TBSP oil
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1-2 cups salad greens and/or micro greens
- 4 toasted buns [optional]
- AVOCADO SMASH:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- a pinch of salt
- CHIPOTLE AIOLI:
- ⅓ cup quality mayo [store bought or homemade]
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chipotle adobo sauce
- ¼ tsp cajun seasoning blend, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- a pinch of salt
- To make the sauce: simply combine ingredients and whisk! If you have a food processor handy, add some of the actual chipotle peppers into the sauce too and blend away!
- To make your flax egg, whisk together 1 TBSP ground flax with 3 TBSP water and pop it in the fridge to set.
- Next coarsely mash your beans in a large bowl and set aside. For added texture, you can leave some of the beans in tact.
- Add your pumpkin and chopped chipotle peppers to the beans and season with your Italian seasoning blend, salt, garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flakes, then stir to coat.
- Next grab your oats, you can leave them whole for texture's sake, chop them, or pulse them in a blender/processor. I usually go with the latter when photographing my burgers since they make a prettier patty - but all three options are delicious so go with whichever method you prefer!
- Add a tablespoon of oil and stir in your oats.
- Remove your flax egg from the fridge and add it to the bowl.
- Stir to fully incorporate and roll mixture into four balls.
- For optimal burger shape, cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly, rotating as you gently, but firmly, press it into a disc.
- Place burgers onto a plate, cover with foil or cling wrap and refrigerate as you prep your buns [or lettuce wraps!] and toppings. This will give them a little while to set. You can even leave them overnight and cook them up the following day. I often make one after 15-30 minutes of chill time and cook up the rest the following day.
- READY TO EAT?
- Pour a tablespoon or two of oil in a skillet and heat to medium-high, so the burgers sizzle when you add them to the pan!
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until you're left with a golden crust. and a warm center. Repeat for each burger, or cook two at once if you have a big enough pan! I'd skip crowding all four together just because they're a pain to flip when all up in eachother's business. A tip for perfectly shaped veggie burgers? While sizzling away in the skillet, I use my spatula to gently nudge the sides of each patty and help form the sides into a perfect disc. Works like a charm!
- Slather your buns with chipotle sauce, pile them high with greens and top each with a tasty pumpkin burger. Top with avocado smash and the upper bun and enjoy!
The burger itself is naturally vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free, so choose your favorite toppings and have fun with it!
special diets and swaps
vegansaurus chefs: simply use your favorite vegan mayo [or alternative] for the sauce and this burger is gloriously vegan!
gluten-free chefs: The only swap you’ll need is a gluten-free bun. Another glorious use for these burgers is a veggie burger salad! Pan fry the patties for a few minutes then bake until extra crispy. Crumble over a leafy green salad flecked with your favorite veggies and top with avocado smash and your favorite dressing.
t-rex chefs: I have to admit, crispy bacon would absolutely rock on top of this veggie burger. Total blasphemy, I know! It’s just so good on everything! Feel free to use a regular egg in place of a flax egg if preferred.
:: pin it for later ::
feeding a crowd?
It’s oh so easy to double these chipotle pumpkin veggie burgers to feed a crew of 8! You can even double the batch to scarf half and then freeze the remainder for later. The recipe is beyond freezer friendly and a total lifesaver on a busy weeknight!
Simply cook the burgers per instructions above, allow to cool a bit, and then freeze spaced out on a plate or cookie sheet. Once they’ve had a chance to partially freeze you can wrap them individually and pile them in baggies or your favorite airtight container for fast food without the freaky ingredients.
To re-heat, simply pop on a baking sheet in the oven for about 18-20 minutes at 400 F.
Presto! Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers with avocado mass and lots of sass!
Wow that was cheesy. Just make ’em, will ya?
If you get a chance to try these chipotle pumpkin veggie burgers, let me know!