Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili; this uber easy and crazy flavorful chili recipe has both Instant Pot and stove top instructions!
Confession: 90% of the chilis I make around here are vegetarian.
I know, I know… so not the norm but so super delicious! Of course every once in a while I like to throw my t-rex husband a bone and make a big bowl of meaty chili for him.
My kind gesture is usually followed up by my attempt to stuff as many veggies as humanly possible into the chili. I can’t help myself. Besides, mo’ veggies = mo’ flavor!
This chili is packed with the perfect protein to veggie ratio with a kick of chipotle for good measure! This tasty turkey chili is deliciously smoky and a teeny bit spicy with layer of savory sweetness in every bite from the red bell peppers and sweet potatoes.
I’ve made sweet potato chili before but this one totally takes the cake! It is hands-down the best turkey chili I’ve ever had!
I think it’s the kiss of chipotle pepper that really sets this bowl-o-comfort apart. The smoky chipotle flavor pairs great with turkey, fabulous with sweet potato, and when you simmer it all together in a big pot of saucy veggies pure magic happens. I know I’m being totally dramatic here but I straight up LOVE this chili! I fully plan on doubling the ingredients next time so I have lots of tasty leftovers to scarf.
Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
:: Paleo :: Whole30 :: Gluten-Free ::
:: pin it for later ::
Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Yield 2-4 servings
This uber easy and crazy flavorful smoky chipotle turkey and sweet potato chili recipe has both pressure cooker and stove top instructions!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1-2 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 shallots
- 1 chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste*
TASTY TOPPINGS - choose your favorites!
- fresh diced jalapeño
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- grated cheddar cheese
- minced red onion
- corn chips
- sliced or diced avocado
- Below are the Instant Pot pressure cooker instructions. For stove top instructions, see blog post below.
- First peel and chop your sweet potato, chop your bell pepper, then peel and finely chop your shallots. Chop/mince your chipotle pepper. Measure out remaining ingredients for quick + easy chili assembly.
- Switch your pressure cooker to the sauté funtion and add 2 tsp oil.
- Sauté shallots for 3-5 minutes, until edges are golden and browned.
- Next add your ground turkey and cook until medium-rare and browned.
- Add remaining chili ingredients: sweet potato, red bell pepper, chipotle pepper in adobo, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and veggie broth. I saved some of the bell pepper for topping my chili, feel free to do the same if you'd like!
- Switch IP off, then set to HIGH for 9 minutes with lid and vent sealed.
- Allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release, then quick release the vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Allow a spoonful to cool, give it a taste, and adjust spices if needed. You may also season with salt and pepper to taste if desired. I didn't add any since my broth and tomatoes had enough salt to carry the dish.
- Pile on the toppings and dive on in! This chili is great right away and stellar the next day too!
Recipe yields 2 large meal-sized bowls or 4 small sides.
As written, the chili is medium. Add a little less cayenne pepper for a mild cup of chili or add extra chipotle and cayenne for a spicy pot of fire! Let your tastebuds be your guide here, you can always add more at the end so play it safe with the recipe as written and then add any extras you desire afterwards. Enjoy!
Feel free to adjust the consistency of the chili to your liking. As written it's perfectly thick and full of delicious texture, but can be thinned with a little broth or tomato sauce if desired! If you add a lot of extra liquid, consider amping up the spices a bit to compensate. Craving beans in your chili? Feel free to add them!
A Note on Salt and Pepper :: I leave salting the dish to the end to prevent over-seasoning. Depending on the brand and type of broth, tomatoes, and beans that you use, the sodium content will vary. I used low sodium broth, regular organic canned tomatoes, and didn't salt my chili.
Pressure cooker recipes always leave out the details so here's a breakdown of what you can expect time-wise: About 13 minutes to come to pressure plus 9 minutes cook time and 5 or so to release pressure. You won't need to be anywhere near your kitchen for this all to partake, the Instant Pot will handle it all! So fabulous right?
Inspired by Sunbasket
special diets and swaps
NO TURKEY? No problem! This chili can also be made with ground beef.
Ready to pile on the toppings? Customize your bowl with all your favorites. My go-to toppings are usually cheddar, jalapeño, sour cream, and fresh cilantro with a hunk of fluffy warm cornbread on the side. YUM!
Making this PALEO or for WHOLE30? As long as your toppings follow suit you’re good to go! Try cilantro, jalapeños, and extra red bell pepper or even some fresh avocado and red onion too!
No Instant-Pot? No problem! This comfort food classic can be made on the stove just as easily. Use the recipe in the recipe card above then follow these steps:
- Grab a large pot and bring to medium-high heat with 2 TBSP oil.
- Brown turkey until medium rare, then add shallots and bell pepper. Cook until softened, approx. 2-3 min.
- Add tomato paste, chopped/ minced chipotle pepper in adobo, and spices. Mix well and cook for an additional minute.
- Next stir in your sweet potato, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and veggie broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until sweet potato is fork-tender and the chili has thickened, approx. 25 minutes.
- Pile on your favorite chili toppings and dig in!
:: in a rush? pin it for later ::
If you get a chance to try this Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili let me know!