This vegetarian Healthy Lentil Soup channels the flavor of my favorite crock-pot lentil dish in a delicious vegan soup!
Paul and I are in complete disagreement over this recipe. He insists it’s a stew, while I stand firmly behind my belief that I soup-ified my beloved Crock-pot Madras Lentils.
Whatever you decide to call it, you’re going to want to put it’s number on speed dial. Don’t even think about waiting the obligatory 3-4 days to call after your first date either. Just dive on in like the eager and overzealous foodie we all know you are.
Just me? Fine, I’m projecting.
Regardless you’re going to want a bowl of this stuff in your face, stat.
The healthy lentil soup recipe makes quite a few servings so feel free to experiment by adding more broth to some bowls to make it more like the soup I insist it is, then swirl some freshly steamed rice into the others for the ultimate stew experience.
Paul has 24-hour duty currently, but I swear I can feel him breathing over my shoulder whispering “You better call it a stew, Jenny. Tell them to add rice. I want it with rice. Will you make it for me with rice next time? No, no you’re typing soup. Don’t call it soup. STEW, Jenny. Stew.”
To that I reply: SOUP THERE IT IS!
Let’s do this!
Healthy Lentil Soup
Feel free to use brown lentils, green lentils, or even red lentils in this crazy delicious lentil soup recipe!
Healthy Lentil Soup
This healthy lentil soup channels the flavor of my favorite crock-pot madras lentil dish in a delicious vegan soup! It's also fantastic served over rice!
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 TBSP olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp freshly minced garlic (2 large cloves)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper add extra for a kick!
- red kidney beans would be a great addition
- whipped goat cheese or greek yogurt for topping (skip for vegan)
- fresh parsley for topping
- an extra drizzle of olive oil
- curry paste to taste
- curry powder to taste
- Heat a large pot to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and diced onion, and sauté until tender, adding the garlic towards the end to prevent burning.
- Next add veggie broth and diced tomatoes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until pureed.
- No immersion blender? No problem! Add the garlic, onion, and tomatoes to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the mixture into the pot with your veggie broth and get cooking!
- Increase the heat to high, then add dried lentils, diced red potato, and all your herbs and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and cover.
- Cook for 30 minutes on medium [mine was on setting 4] then additional 10 min on low, to simmer.
- Top soup with a swirl of goat cheese, sour cream, or greek yogurt and a sprinkle of parsley. You can even add rice! Go nuts!
I used Muir Glen's no salt added fire roasted tomatoes for this recipe. The flavor is stellar and the cans are BPA-free, which I adore. If you're working with what you have on hand, any 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes will work for this recipe, if needed as well as pureed/crushed tomatoes, which are a great substitution if you don't have an immersion blender or would like to speed things along!
Recipe yields 8-10 one cup servings or 4-5 bowls of soup. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts below are an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed.
special diets and swaps
t-rex chefs: Chicken broth will also work for this recipe, have at it!
vegansaurus chefs: Skip the swirl of goat cheese at the end and this soup is gloriously vegan!
If you get a chance to try this healthy lentil soup, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
so . . . how was it?
I have the stinking’ Lego Movie song stuck in my head so, in a word, AWESOME! Now will someone please erase that song from my head forever? Pretty please? I’ll make you soup.
This stuff rocks. It’s hearty and filling and positively perfect for these last few weeks of Winter. It’s also gloriously freezer-friendly, so tuck a bowl or two away in the freezer for a busy weeknight and rock. those. lentils!