Let’s cozy up with a bowl of this Creamy Mushroom Soup! This velvety vegetarian recipe is loaded with mushrooms and full of flavor!
We play favorites around here.
For Paul it’s mushroom soup.
Copious amounts of mushroom soup.
Without fail, he requests my mushroom brie soup for every birthday, holiday, and special occasion pretty much year-round. I’m always down for a bowl but, dude… brie is expensive! I can’t be making it rain fancy cheese like it’s NYE around here. Thus I decided to make a lusciously creamy copycat to with ingredients I already had on hand.
The result? Bowl licking deliciousness and a new favorite shroom soup for casa crayons.
bonus uses for this tasty mushroom soup:
It can also be used in place of cream of mushroom soup in all your favorite casserole recipes – no can needed!
Have a little leftover? It’s AMAZING poured over mashed potatoes (yup totally speaking from experience here, haha) as a creamy mushroom sauce situation or used as a tasty mushroom gravy for chicken or biscuits.
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms
- dried or fresh thyme
- dry sherry or cooking wine
- vegetable broth
- half and half or heavy cream
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
You’ll also want to have butter and flour on hand to thicken this tasty mushroom soup. Combined with the cream it makes the most luscious base for all our mushrooms and spices. Love it so!
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Packing a pound of mushrooms and a hearty helping of garlic and onion, this one-pot creamy mushroom soup is veggie loaded and oh so luscious!
Using a roux for the base makes the veggie broth, sherry, and half and half (which is basically just half cream half milk) next-level thick and creamy. (gahhhh I could eat buckets of this cozy goodness!)
You can use either heavy cream or half and half here and your thyme can be fresh or dried depending on what you have handy!
The recipe below serves 2 large bowls or 4 cup-sized servings that would be great served with a hot and melty panini or a big leafy green salad. It’s also amazing with simply some crusty French or Italian bread for dunking.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 16 oz cremini or baby portobello mushrooms (pre-sliced or whole)
- 2 cups diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tsp fresh)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (or favorite dry cooking wine)
- 4 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- sautéed mushrooms
- grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- fresh thyme
- fresh scallions or chives
- If using whole mushrooms, slice each into 3-4 slices (or simply snag pre-sliced as a time-saver). Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat and melt your butter. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes to soften, then add garlic, mushrooms, thyme, and allspice. Mix well and cook for approx. 5 minutes. Deglaze the browned bits from the pan with dry sherry cooking wine and stir.
- If you’d like to use a few spoonfuls of mushrooms as a tasty (but totally optional) garnish, use a slotted spoon to remove some of the veggies and set aside. I like to sauté these a little extra just before topping the soup.
- Stir in flour and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Allow to simmer 8-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until veggies have reached your ideal tenderness (I love my mushrooms a bit al dente).
- Remove from heat and stir in half and half or heavy cream.
- Give it a taste, then season with soy sauce (love the flavor it adds), salt, and black pepper to taste. Since saltiness will vary based on broth used, simply taste and adjust to your liking.
- Garnish as desired and dive in! We love this soup served with a hot panini or hot and buttery garlic bread for dunking.
If you get a chance to try this creamy mushroom soup recipe, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
hungry for more?
- One-Pot Orzo Pasta with Garlic, Parmesan, and Mushrooms
- Fried Mushrooms via Dinner at the Zoo
- Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
behind the blog
currently listening to… Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros on repeat.
currently watching… YOU on Netflix — I read the book 2-3 years ago when it first came out and had *no idea* they were making it into a series until it popped up on the front page of Netflix. HOLY COW! The show is way waaaaay tamer than its literary counterpart (they humanized the twisted protagonist quite a bit) but the actors pretty much nailed it!
currently reading… the chickpea and I are currently making our way through Where the Sidewalk Ends together. It was a favorite of mine as a kiddo and I’m super stoked that she’s equally into it!