These Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos are fast, flavorful, and topped with a zesty Cilantro Lime Slaw that will rock yours socks! These healthy shrimp tacos are the best!
Tacos. We need to talk about tacos.
My intro-writing skills are on point, amirite? Pass the coffee; it’s gonna be a long day.
At one magical point in time, I began a love affair with fish tacos. I fell under their spell and haven’t been able to tear myself away ever since. If they’re an option on a menu, you bet your booty I’m ordering them. If the local seafood market has a sale? Fish tacos for everyone!!! I play favorites with my food and regret nothing.
Then one day I let my husband do the grocery shopping.
dun – dun – dun
Frozen shrimp were on sale. Buy one get one free, to be exact. And just like that, my deep freezer was filled with no less than six jumbo bags of shrimp.
But wait, there’s more. This darling pilot of mine did one more quick grocery run for me two weeks later and shrimp were on sale… AGAIN!
Naturally he forgot about all past transgressions and bought. more. shrimp.
I’m now terrified of my freezer.
From this point onwards, all tacos will be shrimp tacos.
Spoiler alert: The moment these spicy shrimp tacos entered my face I lost all fear of the shrimptastrophe my husband unleashed on our home because OMG THESE TACOS!
They’re so good.
SO. FLIPPING. GOOD.
Paul, if you’re reading this, thank you so much for your incompetence. Whoops! I mean- your awesomeness. You’re super awesome and I will totally make you these face rocking tacos this week. Also, sorry I didn’t share any the first time. #hungrygirlproblems
Ready for the recipe?!
Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
These spicy slaw-topped shrimp tacos are legendary and I seriously cannot wait for y’all to try them.
Serving a crowd? AWESOME! Double or triple the recipe as needed and get your shrimp taco on! This is one of the most popular recipes on my blog and a total-crowd pleaser. Enjoy!
Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
These Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos are fast, flavorful, and topped with a zesty Cilantro Lime Slaw that will rock yours socks!
Recipe yields 4-6 tacos.
- 8-12 soft corn tortillas see notes
- 1 pound shrimp fresh or frozen/thawed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP avocado oil (or favorite healthy oil)
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought ranch dressing*
- 1 TBSP Sriracha
- 1 cup finely shredded/chopped cabbage** (green, red, or both!)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1-2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp salt
- fresh chopped cilantro to taste
- Clean and peel shrimp, defrosting if needed. Lately we've been buying frozen, deveined, easy-peel shrimp. All I have to do is defrost, peel, and cook! You can also buy your shrimp already peeled if you'd like!
- Set prepped shrimp in the fridge, covered while you make your slaw and sauce.
- For the Sriracha Ranch, simply whisk together both ingredients. For a spicier sauce, add extra Sriracha to taste.
- For the Cilantro Lime Slaw, remove the stem/seeds/ribs from the jalapeño, cut into strips and mince. Combine with cabbage, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Cut your lime in half and add juice of half the lime into your slaw. Toss together and add as much cilantro as your heart desires! Slice the remaining half into wedges for your tacos. Adjust honey to taste and set aside to marinate while you cook the shrimp.
- Pat shrimp dry and season with paprika, cayenne, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat both sides.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 1 TBSP of oil and sauté your shrimp. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Place your shrimp on a clean cutting board and chop into smaller pieces, much like you were coarsely chopping an onion. This extra step helps prevent the shrimp from dive-bombing out of your taco and onto your plate/lap/floor and makes them way easier to eat!
- Line your corn tortillas with shrimp and top with a hearty drizzle of sauce. Double up on corn tortillas if desired to prevent breakage (see notes) - I like to gently warm my corn tortillas up in the microwave or on a skillet before stuffing them. So good!
- Top with slaw, serve with lime wedges, and dig in!
*If making these dairy-free, grab a paleo-friendly or dairy-free ranch or feel free to make your own at home!
TORTILLA TIP: The amount of tortillas you use will depend on two factors: how many you're serving and how full you're stuffing each tacos. If you're making 6 smaller tacos you may be able to get away with just 6 single tortillas. Stuffing the filling into 4 or 5 tacos? Double up on the tortillas to prevent tearing. I learned this trick from our local tex-mex restaurants and have been doubling up on my tortillas ever since! You can even double up if you're making 6 tacos - whatever works!
As for the cilantro, use as much or as little as you'd like! Not a fan of cilantro? No problem! Skip the cilantro entirely and jazz up the flavor of your slaw using thinly sliced red onion instead.
Nutrition facts below are an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed.
Shoutout to Melanie who helped me taste test these magical spicy sriracha shrimp tacos.
And by taste test, I mean we shoved them into our faces while standing over the kitchen island watching our children pelt each other with pillows. #momlife
:: pin it for later ::
If you get a chance to try these spicy shrimp tacos let me know! You can leave me a comment here (love checking those daily!) or tag @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! Can’t wait!
live every day like it’s taco Tuesday!
- Baked Bell Pepper Tacos
- 6 Easy Hacks for a Healthier Taco Night
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Healthy Lentil Tacos