The perfect add-on to any meal, this simple side salad recipe is a great way to sneak extra veggies onto your dinner plate!
Since a good dressing totally makes the salad, I’ll add a few delicious (and easy!!!) homemade dressing recipes to this post so you can choose your favorite.
I’m fairly certain there are no less than 200 salad recipes on this little blog of mine.
Somehow despite all my salad shenanigans over the years, I’ve never posted a simple garden salad.
Gah! That’s like passing go and not collecting $200! A simple side salad is such a fabulous addition to so many main dishes and def not something to overlook. In fact, it should be celebrated!
Let’s get our salad on!
What Lettuce Should I Use?
I love to use romaine lettuce or spring mix for my side salads. It’s the perfect base for oodles of crisp veggies and a finger licking dressing!
You can use a bagged mix as a speedy shortcut or chop it straight from a head of lettuce.
Garden Salad Vegetables
There are so many tasty veggies to choose from! For this simple salad I went with vegetables I almost always have on hand:
- romaine lettuce
- red onion
Depending on what you have handy, and what type of dressing you are adding, you can add any other veggies your heart desires.
Other great options include pepperoncini peppers, sliced olives, banana peppers, chopped broccoli, etc…
Side Salad Dressing Options
For a Greek spin, you could use feta cheese in place of the parmesan and whisk together my Classic Greek Dressing.
They’re insanely easy to make with pantry staple ingredients and taste so much better than the bottled stuff!
Simple Side Salad Recipe
This recipe yields 4 side salads but can easily be halved or doubled based on how many servings you need.
Ready to get your side salad on? Here’s my go-to recipe:
Simple Side Salad Recipe
- 5 oz chopped lettuce (a 5 ounce bag or 3-4 cups)
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼-⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1-2 cups croutons (freshly made or store bought)
- ¼-⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta (optional)
- ¼ cup quality olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried parsley or 1 tsp fresh
- ½ tsp garlic powder or one super small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ⅛-¼ tsp salt
- ⅛-¼ tsp black pepper
- Choose your dressing from the list above (though if you have a go-to homemade or store bought dressing that's okay too!).
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk *or* add dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to mix.
- Let's get our veggie on! Clean and chop lettuce or snag a bag of your favorite chopped/washed lettuce.
- Slice and quarter Roma tomato(es) and thinly slice cucumber. I usually peel traditonal cucumber or leave the skin on English/seedless cucumber.
- Freshly shred/grate carrots or use pre-shredded here. Thinly slice or mince red onion.
- Combine veggies croutons, and optional cheese in a big bowl and mix it all up.
- rWhisk or shake dressing once more and dip a lettuce leaf in to taste. Adjust seasoning/ingredients to taste if desired
- Pour half the dressing over the salad before serving. Toss to combine and serve with remainig dressing for each person to add their ideal amount to their salad. Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this simple side salad recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!