Loaded with fresh veggies and tossed in a light homemade dressing, this tasty vegetarian Greek Chickpea Salad makes healthy eating a breeze!
I’m kind of a nut when it comes to veggies.
I’ll pretty much do anything for a bite of something tall, dark, and GREEN!
Or yellow… red… orange…
You get the point!
The second I spotted this colorful bowl-o-veggies at a local Mediterranean restaurant I knew I had to have it. I’m a sucker for a healthy plate full of whole food goodness and hoped their greek chickpea salad tasted as good as it looked.
Spoiler altert: It was TO. DIE. FOR. So good might have licked the plate clean…
So . . . how was it? Tell me more about this chickpea salad!
I never get tired of answering this question… IT IS SO FLIPPING GOOD!
This refreshing dish is great as a side dish or as a stand-alone lunch.
It’s tasty chilled but I think it tastes absolutely best at room temperature (somehow the flavors are more amplified this way) and really can’t get enough of it like this.
You can toss them over a crisp green salad, serve it alongside a fluffy pita sandwich, or even turn it into a greek platter by adding grape leaves, hummus, tzatziki sauce, falafel, pita wedges and even a big ole pile of olives. Just keep the olives to yourself. I’m still terrified of them.
The über tasty dressing in this recipe is also amaaaaazing over greens or even mixed into pasta salad! Have fun with it! You guys are going to LOVE this zesty greek chickpea salad; I just know it!
Crazy for feta cheese? ME TOO!
Feel free to add crumbled feta on top. It’s delightful!
Healthy Vegetarian Greek Chickpea Salad
This recipe serves a crowd! Bring it along to your next picnic, party, or potluck or halve the recipes for a more manageable serving, perfect as a side dish with dinner or a healthy weekday lunch. It’s super portable and sure to rock your socks off!
Need a smaller serving? Feel free to cut the recipe in half – it’s oh so easy to do!
Greek Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas (approx. 30 oz total)
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (sweet mini peppers work too)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 avocado (plus extra to taste)
uber easy mediterranean marinade/dressing:
- 2.5 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 3 TBSP quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp lemon juice (squeezed from 1 large or two small lemon)
- 1/2-1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2-1 tsp parsley plus extra to garnish
- ½ tsp dried crushed oregano
- ½ tsp salt (plus extra as desired)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- optional extra: crumbled feta cheese
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Chop your peppers, tomato, and cucumber, and toss them in a bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a separate container and either shake or whisk to incorporate. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
- Pop the bowl in the fridge, covered, for a few hours to let the fabulous flavors of the marinade get better acquainted with your veggies or enjoy right away.
- Peel and chop avocado just before serving, and add to the salad. I like to toss my avocado in a little lemon juice with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent it from browning.
This Scrumptious Salad can be Made Vegan or Vegetarian!
As written, this Greek Chickpea Salad is fabulously vegan!
Simply skip the optional feta and enjoy as is *or* you can pair with falafel and/or hummus to round out the meal.
This chopped chickpea salad is also AMAZING over cooked quinoa, freekeh, or farro to make the ultimate grain bowl.
As for my T-Rex friends, if you try to add meat to this salad I will fight you! LOL! You can, however, pair this dish with shish kebabs or grilled chicken. Totally approved!
Looking for a gluten-free dish? FAB! This salad is gloriously GF.
Bring on the Veggies!
Ingredients Needed for this Mediterrranean Chickpea Salad
- canned chickpeas
- bell pepper – red, green, orange, and/or yellow
- feta cheese (optional)
You can also add some fresh parsley into the mix like I did for an extra burst of color and herby flavor. Delish!
For the tasty Greek dressing you’ll need…
- red wine vinegar
- quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- parsley (fresh or dried)
- dried crushed oregano
- dried (or fresh!) dill
- salt and pepper
The dressing is crazy simple and oh so speedy to make! You can whisk it all up in a bowl or simply pile the ingredients into a small mason jar, slap on the lid, and shake until combined.
If you get a chance to try this healthy greek chickpea salad, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!