These quick and easy chicken gyros with Greek feta sauce are so super versatile and great for a speedy lunch or a fuss-free weeknight dinner.
You can use grilled, baked, rotisserie, or even leftover chicken or go veggie and add sautéed onions and peppers to the mix!
Has anyone noticed that I’ve been losing my mind over Greek-inspired dishes lately? You guys are game right? Regardless, just play along!
Between Mediterranean-inspired eats and fresh seafood, my cravings have been out. of. control!
This predictably happens nearly every Spring and Summer when the tomatoes, cucumbers, greens and herbs are so out of this world tasty that I can’t help but eat buckets of them. I’ve even resorted to growing all the vegetables I need for this recipe in my very own backyard garden.
Assuming my thumb stays green enough to see these babies go from “farm” to plate, that is… Wish me luck!
Now let’s move on to the gyros!
Chicken for Gyros
Are you a total sucker for that crispy char on chicken that you only get from grilling? Grill, baby, grill!
I Opted for speed and used my pressure cooker to cook up super juicy, super tender chicken breasts but you can 100% use any cut and any cooking method you prefer!
In a pinch you could even snag a rotissere on the way home from work and whip these up supah-fast!
I’ve also used my roasted shawarma chicken in these and it’s nothing short of epic. Love how this easy pita wrap can be made so many different ways!
Need a vegetarian option?
You can easily swap out the chicken for grilled veggies and make this gloriously vegetarian. In fact, I’m pretty sure I need to do that tonight – YUM!
You can also use my Crispy Roasted Shawarma Chickpeas in place of the chicken for a flavorful gyro that’s full of plant based protein.
Easy Chicken Gyros with Greek Feta Sauce
This recipe is written to serve two, but can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
If you love leftovers as much as we do (hello there tomorrow’s lunch!) then absolutely make extra!
so . . . how are they?!
These easy chicken gyros with Greek feta sauce are AMAZING! I inhaled mine pretty much instantly, then photographed Paul’s for this blog post since I’d be wrapping it up for later anyways. As usual, he was flying super late and came home ravenous. Refusing to leave my cozy spot in bed (it was so late!) I sent Mr. Hangrypants into the kitchen to scarf his leftovers.
Literally no more than a minute after sending him into the kitchen, Paul stomped back into the bedroom.
I was about to tease him for not being able to find his food (this happens a lot, haha!) but instead he just *had to* tell me, full mouth and all, that I needed to make these again. Score! I don’t buy pita bread super often but this recipe is so worth having a few fluffy flatbreads on hand for!
I absolutely loved the creamy greek feta sauce that I paired these with, though if your craving a dollop tzatziki sauce (this recipe) is one of my favorites.
There’s something about a warm fluffy pita filled with fresh crisp veggies, juicy chicken, and a dollop of creamy feta sauce that’s just plain magical. I hope y’all love them as much as we do.
And yes, they’re totally on the menu again for next week! It was a no brainer!
Easy Chicken Gyros with Greek Feta Sauce
- 8 ounces chicken breast cooked any way you’d like (see notes)
- 2-4 leaves romaine lettuce trimmed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes* (chopped or sliced) see below
- 1/4 English cucumber sliced thin
- 2 fluffy pita breads
- diced or thinly sliced onion
- diced or thinly sliced bell pepper
- sliced olives
- fresh parsley to garnish
- extra crumbled feta cheese I’m guilty of this one! Yum!
GREEK FETA SAUCE:
- First make your sauce. Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning/feta to taste.
- Next chop, slice, and prep your veggies.
- Prep and cook your protein if needed (see notes)
- Warm pita bread either using the toaster oven, oven, microwave, or a heated skillet.
- Lay pita bread flat and layer chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and any additional toppings you’d like to add, then top with a hearty dollop or two of feta sauce.
- Wrap and secure with aluminum foil, wrapping it around half the sandwich, burrito-style.
Gyro Sandwich Serving Suggestions
Trying to figure out what to serve with these deeeeliiiiishhhhh chicken gyros? I’ve got you covered!
You can also serve them alongside a cup of Mediterranean White Bean Soup – yum!
While I made a creamy feta sauce to go on top of my gyros, you could also serve them with this Thick and Creamy Restaurant-Style Tzatziki Dip and fresh sliced veggies for dunking. Hummus is another awesome side dish too.
Looking for More Greek Inspired Goodness?
- Greek Spiralized Cucumber Salad
- Ina Garten’s Greek Salad is always delish.
- Greek Quinoa Bowls – love these like woah!
- NEW! Mediterranean Feta Dip
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
If you get a chance to try these awesome + easy chicken gyros, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!