Transform an unsuspecting can of chickpeas into a crispity crunchity flavor bomb that’s perfect for topping and for snacking! These crispy roasted shawarma chickpeas are addictively delicious!
I legit cannot get my healthy chicken shawarma bowls off my mind. I finished up the last of the leftovers for lunch the other day and immediately added the ingredients back onto my grocery list for the upcoming week. I may mix it up this time, swapping the fluffy quinoa for a bed of leafy greens (shawarma salad FTW!) but the flavor profile will remain the same: delicious!
Because I’m impulsive and can’t wait for my weekly grocery run, I decided to shawarmatize (pretend that’s a word) some crunchy roasted chickpeas.
Can I get a heck yes?
Wait, was I the only one shouting that? How embarrassing.
Anywho! Let’s quit the chitchat and move on to the easy peasy recipe!
Crispy Roasted Shawarma Chickpeas
Transform an unsuspecting can of chickpeas into a crispity crunchity flavor bomb that’s perfect for topping and for snacking! Using dried chickpeas instead of canned? Fabulous! That simply means you can make MORE! Woot!
Make a little, or a lot! Just make them, mmk?
Gluten-Free :: Vegetarian :: Vegan
Crispy Roasted Shawarma Chickpeas
Yield 15 ounces
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander or sieve and rinse well.
- Pat the chickpeas very dry with a clean dishtowel. The drier the chickpeas are, the crispier your end result. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for a few minutes.
- Next toss the chickpeas with olive/avocado oil and salt until lighlty coated, then arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast on the center rack for 20 to 25 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Stir or shake the pan of chickpeas at the 10 minute mark for even crispiness.
- While still hot from the oven, add to a bowl with your spices then mix with a spatula or spoon. Hand mixing works too but if you stick your hands in this shawarmatastic seasoning your fingers will most definitely turn yellow from the turmeric. (my hands were legit yellow for a day! lol!)
- Serve while the chickpeas are still warm and crispy. As they cool the crispiness will be replaced by a nutty chewiness which I think is equally awesome. Feel free to try them both ways! I've gotten into the habit of eating a few handfuls straight from the oven and saving some to snack on or top dishes with later.
The cayenne pepper controls the heat of these so use a little less (or skip) for mild chickpeas and use extra for a fiery treat!
See post below for tasty serving suggestions and be sure to try them in place of the chicken in my healthy chicken shawarma quinoa bowls recipe!
so. . . how were they?!
Phenomenal! They’re a wee bit fiery from the cayenne (YES PLEASE!) and gloriously addictive. The zesty blend of spices were spot on and I can say hands-down these are lead contender my favorite chickpeas of all time. Aside from THIS chickpea, of course. Duh.
I cannot be trusted around a tray of these, I’ll legit eat the entire thing in a sitting.
Occasionally I’ll exercise control and only eat half a tray at a time, but let it be known that I don’t stop thinking about the remaining half until I finally get to deliver it into my face.
I have issues.
I also have more chickpeas to roast, huzzah!
- rice bowls
- shawarma bowls <— YES!
- soup garnish/topping
- seriously, by the fistful!
- DO IT