Baked to crispy perfection, these tender crispy baked chicken thighs are seasoned with a homemade Mediterranean marinade and served with vibrant garlic turmeric rice. This simple weeknight dinner is easy to throw together and full of flavor!
My default marinade for veggies and protein alike has always been Marinade No. 5. As I whisk together the super simple flavor-amplifying potion I sing the ingredients to the tune of Mambo Number 5 and make a complete and utter fool of myself in the process.
“A little extra virgin olive oil in my life; a little bit of garlic by my side…”
Now that I have a toddler-sized sous chef at my feet it’s a bit less embarrassing and a lot more fun! Poor kid has zero clue what she’s singing but she OWNS it!
Though speaking of my pipsqueak, it’s just occurred to me that over half of you have zero clue what song I’m referring to. That gives me the sads. Go forth and Google.
Are you back yet?
Is the song stuck in your head?
Today’s recipe features a revamp of my beloved Marinade No. 5.
I swapped a few ingredients here and there for a marvelously Mediterranean-style marinade (hello alliteration!) that is going to knock your socks off. I left the mixing bowl on the counter by accident (hello laziness!) and I swore my husband was seconds from eating the bowl when he got home from work. The smell is divine and the taste lives up to the hype.
I’m calling it my Greek Goddess Marinade and I’m putting it on EVERYTHING!
Before I hand over this delicious little recipe of mine, I need you to make me a promise. Under no circumstances are you to use boneless skinless anything for these Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs.
Nope. Niet. Nada. Don’t do it, people!
I’ve tried marinating chicken breasts before and the results pale in comparison to using bone-in skin-on poultry. Trust me! When you taste how deliciously juicy this chicken is you’ll understand. Not only will chicken thighs save you cash monies, but they’re going to taste flipping fantastic!
You may now have the recipe.
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Turmeric Rice
We’re loving this delish dinner!
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Turmeric Rice
Baked to crispy perfection, these tender chicken thighs are seasoned with a homemade Mediterranean marinade and served with vibrant garlic turmeric rice. This simple weeknight dinner is easy to throw together and full of flavor!
- 1/4 cup + 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP dried basil leaves
- 1 TBSP dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in + skin-on
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 cup dry rice
- 1/2-1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP butter or olive oil
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In a ziploc bag, combine marinade and chicken thighs and shake to coat. Marinate (in the fridge) anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 day (see note below) - the longer it sits the better the flavor!
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and allow to rest.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spritz/drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Use tongs (or a fork!) to remove the chicken from the bag/marinade and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes (depending on oven temperament; cook thighs to an internal temp of 165 degrees F) then switch oven setting to broil for a few minutes, until skin is golden and crispy. This will take around 2-4 minutes max.
- While the chicken roasts, cook your rice. They'll be done around the same time, woot!
- Bring a pot of water or broth to boil, then add your rice, turmeric, garlic powder, and salt. Stir, then reduce heat to low/simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- I left a range for the rice seasoning to get you started. I added the larger amount of each but decided to give a range so you can season to taste. Start with a little and then add more, tasting as you go. The turmeric lends fantastic color, a mild flavor, and great health benefits while the garlic powder and salt punch the flavor up a bit. It's a hit with my entire family!
- Once your rice is cooked, fluff with a fork then add a little butter and any additional seasoning to taste.
- Serve chicken and rice alongside your favorite salad and enjoy!
Garlic obsessed? Feel free to add 1 clove, minced to the marinade if you'd like a punch of garlic flavor! Totally optional.
Serve with a simple veggie salad. I love combining chopped avocado, tomato, cucumber and peppers with a drizzle of oil and vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Click HERE for the recipe!
In a pinch you can marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or so. If you plan a little, whisk it together and start the marination process that morning or, better yet, marinate your chicken the night before. I've had best results tossing it together while I'm prepping dinner the night before, and then baking the chicken for lunch or dinner the following day. Delicious!
Recipe yields 4 proper servings but can easily be devoured by two hungry adults when the mood strikes. If you manage to squirrel some away for later, the leftovers are fantastic too!
Nutrition Facts below are estimated for the chicken and rice using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try these Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
These were hands-downthe most flavorful chicken thighs of my life! I may or may not have completely ditched the fork and ate this one caveman style at one point. Says the former vegetarian… I have issues. This dish has surely earned it’s spot in regular rotation around here!
For those of you that are avoiding grains, put an easy peasy paleo spin on the recipe by using grated cauliflower “rice” — it’s healthy and delicious!
I received a few requests for a post on my go-to avocado cucumber salad – click HERE to snag the recipe!