This Easy Tzatziki Sauce is a tasty Greek cucumber yogurt sauce served with veggies and pita for dipping, or atop your favorite protein as a flavorful condiment. It’s also outstanding on pita sandwiches and wraps! YUM!
Today let’s grab life by the cucumbers and make some crazy delicious tzatziki sauce!
This is hands-down one of my favorite condiments and we make this sauce on a regular basis during the Spring and Summer months here in Florida. Sometimes I go the traditional route for this cucumber yogurt sauce, while other times I throw caution to the wind and crumble a little feta cheese into the sauce and swirl it with spicy harissa paste and fresh lemon zest. That recipe may need to make an appearance on the blog super soon – stay tuned!
what is tzatziki sauce used for?
In our house? Everything! Traditionally it is served alongside grilled meats such as chicken and lamb and also as a mezze, or appetizer. We love to use it as a condiment for homemade chicken gyros and as a dip for fresh vegetables and pita chips. You can buy a package of pre-made pita chips or make your own by toasting fluffy pita bread with a light drizzle of olive oil and some spices.
I’m also a big fan of making mezze platters for dinner, which is basically just a jumbo snack plate that serves double-duty as a lazy day meal. We always let some tzatziki in on the fun!
This scrumptious sauce also makes a fantastic dip for two of my favorite potato recipes. Try dunking my Healthy Mediterranean Potato Skins in it or drizzle a little tzatziki on top of Sweet Potato Samosa Stuffed Potato Skins.
how do you make Greek tzatziki sauce?
We call it easy tzatziki sauce for a reason, yo! This super simple recipe requires no cooking and just a handful of simple ingredients.
If you want it ultra stick-to-an-upside-down-spoon thick you can strain the yogurt before making your sauce, but I find using a quality Greek yogurt will make it thick without any straining or cheesecloth action at all. Woot!
You’ll simply combine lusciously thick Greek yogurt with grated cucumber, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and your choice of fresh or dried herbs. Parsley, dill, and mint are most common and all taste fantastic swirled into this sauce. If you’d like you can also add black pepper (I do!) and a drizzle of olive oil on top as a tasty garnish.
This tasty sauce can be made the night before and keeps for a few days in an airtight container in the fridge. It cannot be frozen, so feel free to halve the recipe if needed. Serving a crowd? It doubles just as easily!
Easy Tzatziki Sauce
Easy Tzatziki Sauce
- ½ English cucumber
- 2 cups thick Greek yogurt (I typically use Fage 2%)
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic smashed and minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped parsley
- ½ TBSP fresh chopped mint (optional)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp dried dill (fresh works great too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a box grater on a cutting board and grate half an English cucumber into little shreds. If using a conventional cucumber, peel before grating.
- Chop into small pieces with a chefs knife and sprinkle with sea salt to draw out the water from the cucumber.
- While cucumber sits, combine yogurt with lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, parsley, mint (optional but tasty!) and season with garlic powder and dried dill.
- Now that the cucumbers have had a few minutes to sit, Wring out the liquid by placing your cucumber in the center of a small stack of 3 paper towels, Squeeze/twist to get the water our over your sink and then add the cucumber to your dip. Stir and season with any additional salt and pepper you desire. Feel free to season with any extra dill or garlic powder as well - let your taste buds be your guide!
- Pop in the fridge to chill.
- Serve with all your favorite dippers, sandwiches, or proteins. This fresh tzatziki sauce is great on everything!
If you get a chance to try this quick and easy tzatziki sauce, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
I made this tonight and it was delicious! So easy also. Thank you
Delicious and you’re right -so easy! Thank you!
Thanks Jane! xoxo
You weren’t kidding when you said this homemade Tzatziki sauce is easy to make! I’ve been buying it from Trader Joes because I had no idea it’s a simple recipe, plus so fresh when homemade. Delicious and we add it to everything too!
Sooooo simple! Glad you’re a fan, Sandra! xo
I love this sauce! We put it on everything 🙂
Us too! xoxo