Snag a tub of your favorite hummus and whip up this Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus Platter platter for a tasty pre-dinner snack that’s sure to satisfy!
It’s forever my goal to somewhat “fill in the blanks” with our snacks and seize opportunity to sneak in extra nutrients we may miss at mealtime.
Snacks for us are typically more on the casual side, and fall into a more intuitive eating sort of routine.
Some days we’re positively snack happy while other days we go so overboard when 5pm hits that our pre-dinner nosh turns into dinner itself!
Often if there’s a missing component from our standard breakfast-lunch-dinner routine, I’ll try to make it up within a balanced snack. It’s always a great opportunity to sneak in some much needed lean protein (chickpea hummus and greek yogurt, I’m looking at you!), fresh fruit, or veggies.
We try to keep the focus on whole foods when possible (kettle corn counts as a whole food, right?) and serving up snack trays makes things fun and delicious!
Some velvety hummus here…. crisp veggies there… and a sprinkling of carbs for good measure make for the ultimate snack plate. I like to top my hummus with a simplified version of my go-to bruschetta topping, making a quick and easy pre-dinner snack feel like a fancy Oscar party appetizer.
Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus Platter
Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus Platter
Snag a tub of your favorite hummus and whip up this Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus snack platter for a tasty pre-dinner nosh that's sure to satisfy!
- 1/2 cup diced seedless english cucumber
- 1/4-1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 10 oz hummus
- 2 TBSP crumbled feta cheese (skip for vegan)
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped parsley or basil
- 1-2 TBSP sweet balsamic glaze or homemade balsamic reduction
- a splash of red wine or white wine vinegar
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
FOR THE SNACK PLATTER: CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITES!
- roasted garlic hummus with extra virgin olive oil and paprika
- classic hummus drizzled with pesto
- tzatziki dip
- fresh warmed pita wedges or pita chips
- carrot sticks
- celery sticks
- cucumber slices
- sliced bell pepper
- sweet mini peppers
- Feel free to mix and match different varieties of hummus and any veggies your heart desires!
- Dice tomatoes and cucumber and toss with olive oil and vinegar if desired.
- Pile atop a fresh container of hummus and drizzle with balsamic glaze/reduction.
- Top with crumbled feta and fresh parsley.
- Surround your hummus with all your favorite dippers and veggies (see above for suggestions) and any other dips your heart desires! We went with Sabra roasted garlic hummus topped with olive oil and paprika and classic hummus with a swirl of pesto. Deeeeelish!
Of course that adorable little hand above belongs to my now two and a half year old chickpea who is also allllll about the snack plates!
Though let’s be entirely transparent about just how picky toddlers can be…
Along with the obsession with mandatory food spacing, there’s some sort of prehistoric hardwiring that flips a switch, causing a squishy baby that eats anything in sight to turn into a sassy 2 year old with more food rules than Michael Pollan.
This newfound pickiness is actually a defense mechanism meant to keep little cave babies from wandering over to a poisonous berry bush and chowing down, but these days it translates into a power struggle at mealtime.
Enter this momma’s lifesaver: deconstructed eats.
:: pin it for later ::
Though she lets me heavy hand everything from pesto to curry seasoning, my opinionated toddler insists that I keep her eats as simple as possible. While prepping our meals and snacks, I simply deconstruct each element and space them out on her little school bus plate.
Suddenly my offerings are deemed “soooooo yummy, momma!” and I can focus on the real fun: stuffing my own face!
This pre-dinner snack also gives us a chance to pack in some extra nutrients that may have gotten snubbed during other meals of the day. AKA this is my chance to throw yet another combo of protein, fruit, and veggies at my toddler in hopes a few healthy eats make their way into her face. More often than not this is a total win, so when a certain someone decides dinner shall consist of nothing more than garlic rolls and pasta, I can rest assured that snack-time picked up the slack.
Though when all else fails, we eat chocolate chip pancakes and popcorn and call it a day.
If you get a chance to try this tasty Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus Platter, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. We make ours a little different every time based on what we have handy and it’s always so delicious!