Make these Homemade Pizza Rolls and take the sketch out of snacktime! Crispy baked won-ton wrappers make the perfect base for bite sized pizza poppers.
Oh pizza rolls…. Though I probably watched TV a total of 2 hours this week, I’ve still managed to see no less than 50 commercials for uber-processed Pizza Rolls. UGH! Really!?
Growing up, my parents worked around the clock and often left my siblings and I with a freezer stocked to the brim with Bagel Bites and Pizza Rolls. It happens. But not anymore! Despite kicking the habit when I went away to college, those commercials hit me with some serious nostalgia and some mondo cravings. Then, as usual, twitter pushed me over the edge.
I saw this awesome skinny pizza wonton recipe Dashing Dish and decided won-ton wrappers were totally the way to go!
Plus I almost always have them on hand for speedy snack creations.
I apologize in advance if you end up with a won-ton wrapper addiction too. LOVE THEM SO!
Homemade Pizza Rolls
Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Nasoya Won-ton Squares [found near the tofu and salad stuff]
- your favorite pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
- freshly grated parmesan and/or mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni [turkey, regular, or veggie]
- garlic or garlic powder
- red pepper flakes for topping
get creative! Take your favorite pizza toppings and go nuts. You can whip these up Hawaiian style, meat lover's, veggie lovers, or simply clean out your cripser with this super versatile snack!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you're a mushroom lover like me, start by sauteing a handful chopped mushrooms with a minced clove of garlic in olive oil. If you can't stand the stuff, skip it or swap for some delish diced peppers, onions, or even some Italian sausage crumbles + follow the steps below!
- For sketch-free pizza rolls, lay your won-ton wrappers flat on a cutting board.
- Add just a teeny bit of sauce so it doesn't squish out the sides.
- Top with veggies and pepperoni a la the photo below.
- Dip your finger in a little bit of water [keep a small cup handy] and run along the right and bottom side of the square and press closed until sealed. The water helps them stick.
- Repeat for each won-ton.
- When all your pizza triangles are sealed, set atop a wire baking/cooling rack and spritz each side with spray oil.
- Place the wire rack on a baking sheet and bake at 375 F for about 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Want your pizza rolls extra saucy? Feel like skipping the whole folding shenanigans? See below for steps on how to make deep dish won-ton cups in mini muffin tins! They're easy and equally delicious!
Put a spin on it!
Hellooooo deep dish pizza cups!
If you don’t have a rack to faux fry the rolls on or just want more pizza in your roll, totally whip out a mini muffin pan and try these babies on for size:
UPDATE: These froze marvelously!
Prep, freeze on a flat baking sheet, toss into a baggie and store in your freezer for later!
To reheat, bake on a wire rack for 7-9 minutes at 365F