Have pita bread handy? Make this speedy Pesto Pita Pizza with spinach, feta, and all your favorite toppings! Store-bought flatbread makes a fast and flavorful personal pizza, perfect for lunch or dinner!
Since the untimely demise of my sourdough starter, I have given up my from-scratch pizza dough escapades in favor of something much, much easier.
Helloooooo pita bread pizzas!
Both pita and naan flatbreads make the most *AMAZING* bases for pizza.
It’s a bit classier than using a bagel or English muffin as your base (though my inner child loves them so) and just as easy to whip up with whatever cheeses, veggies, and sauces you have handy.
For sauces, you can use anything from traditional pizza sauce to pesto to an easy blend of garlic and butter. Alfredo sauce also makes a baller base for a pita pizza to give it a white pizza vibe and hummus makes an amazing base for a veggie pizza!
If the name wasn’t a giveaway here, I used good ole pesto for my pita pizzas today since it’s my absolute favorite.
toppings for pita pizzas
When it comes to your pita flatbread pizzas, the topping options are endless. Here are a few tasty options to try:
- fresh tomatoes
- cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, feta, etc…)
- pepperoni (regular, turkey, veggie)
- bell peppers
- banana peppers
- sun-dried tomatoes
- and so. much. more.
These personal pita pizzas can be made with regular or whole wheat pitas. You can also use naan flatbread or make them minis using pitettes.
Pesto Pita Pizza with Spinach and Feta
The personal pizza recipe below features a medley of spinach, mushrooms, tomato with mozzarella and feta cheeses. It’s DIVINE and quite possibly my dream pita pizza combo.
No fresh spinach? No problem! If you have creamed spinach squirreled away in your freezer it makes a fantastic base! Frozen chopped spinach will work too; simple squeeze it dry first and season to taste. Whichever route you take, Popeye is sure to be proud!
Want to mix things up? Feel free to use any of the toppings from the list above to customize your pizza!
Pesto Pita Pizza with Spinach and Feta
- 2 pitas (whole wheat or regular)
- 2-3 TBSP pesto store-bought or homemade
- 2-4 TBSP grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
- 3 mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 2 TBSP crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes – optional
- Pre-heat conventional oven or toaster oven to 350°F.
- Prep ingredients by grating mozzarella (or use pre-shredded), finely chopping spinach, slicing mushrooms, and chopping tomatoes. Mushrooms can be added raw or sautéed first if desired. I wanted mine super golden and extra flavorful so I gave them a quick sauté in olive oil before adding them to my pizza. Feel free to follow suit!
- Spread the top of each pita with a layer of pesto and top with mozzarella cheese. Add spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and feta on top.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until pita is nice and crispy and the cheese is melty.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy hot form the oven and feel free to sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick!
If you get a chance to try this pesto pita pizza recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
This is amazing!!!
Thanks Adam! xo
The store I went to for most of the groceries I needed didn’t have pita bread, so I actually used Naan! It came out GREAT! Satisfying and flavorful.
I have tried countless recipes from Jenn and they have all been delicious! This exact one gets asked for weekly. Jenn, you are greatly talented. I can’t wait to try ALL of your recipes 🙂
Can these be made ahead and frozen and just popped in the oven for a bit?
I bet they can! I haven’t tried it out, but I have left them in the fridge for half a day and then popped them in the oven after chilling and they were still great! Let me know if you get a chance to try it.
My husband is all about pesto on pizza! It’s his favorite sauce. He’s looking over my shoulder at your gorgeous food images, and he has requested this for dinner tonight! Yummy pesto pita pizza…here we come!
Soooo stoked! Hope y’all adore it!
This is the perfect recipe because I have pretty much all the ingredients and the flavor is amazing!
It was meant to be! Woot!