Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza. Alternate title: how to eat an entire 5oz box of spinach for lunch with out making a frickin’ salad.
What happens when you top a garlicky flatbread with homemade creamed spinach, three kinds of cheeses, and pesto, glorious pesto?
Lunch. A really, really, ridiculously yummy who-needs-a-pizzaria lunch. Or dinner. Or a tasty snack for two if you have an particularly peckish significant other hovering over your shoulder. You know what? You could make this for breakfast and nobody would judge you. It’s just too good not to.
Sorry about that. The coffee made me do it. The BUTTERED coffee. Yes I’m still riding that bandwagon. The conductor even let me blow the whistle. Hollaaaaa!
Can we get back to the pizza before I embarrass myself any further? Thanks for understanding, let’s never speak of this again. Of the hashtags, that is. We MUST speak of pizza. Often.
Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza… for one!
:: pin it ::
Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza
Yield 1-2 servings
Aiming to eat more veggies? This Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza packs an entire box of spinach into one glorious single-serving pizza! This veg-tastic recipe can easily be doubled [or tripled!] to feed a crowd and makes an awesome meal paired with your favorite salad.
- 1 [5 oz] box of spinach
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8-1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 garlic naan flatbread
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 tsp pesto
- a pinch of red pepper flakes, for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop spinach and mince garlic.
- Heat a deep pan to medium-high heat with 1 TBSP butter.
- Add garlic and spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Add heavy cream, parmesan, and salt and reduce heat to simmer, stirring frequently to thicken for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread spinach mixture onto your flatbread and top with mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with pesto and bake on a foil lined baking sheet at 350 for 12 min.
- Change oven setting to broil for an additional minute or two, until golden and bubbly.
- Top with red pepper flakes and enjoy!
No fresh spinach? No problem! If you have creamed spinach squirreled away in your freezer it makes a fantastic base! Frozen chopped spinach will work too; simple squeeze it dry first and mix it with a dash of cream and a sprinkling of parm cheese. Whichever route you take, Popeye is sure to be proud!
To serve a crowd, this recipe easily doubles, triples, or quadruples. Have a quick and easy flatbread pizza party with friends or family and let everyone choose their toppings!
I’m one of those people who are perpetually hungry, by the way.
Even when eating, I’m simultaneously thinking about how delicious it is and wondering what my next meal will be. I started fantasizing about this pizza while eating breakfast. I had forgotten to add spinach to my scrambled eggs and began thinking longingly about how I could utilize that poor neglected box-0-spinach. Then my mind naturally wandered to pizza, and I spent the rest of the morning waiting for the first lunchtime hunger pang to strike so I could stuff my face.
This didn’t disappoint one bit! You’ll see this flavor combination over and over on my blog, and for good reason too; it’s downright delicious! Feel free to adjust the garlic and red pepper flakes to taste to make this pizza as mild or as spicy as your heart desires, though that little kick from the RPF really takes this one out of the park. Do it.