These Caramelized Mushroom Flatbread Pizzas are quick, easy, and totally tasty! We love to use pita bread and naan as pizza crust for a crazy fast pizza fix!
What’s better than Pizza Friday?
FLATBREAD Pizza Friday!
It’s a thing, look it up.
Ok so it’s not a thing, but it should be!
If you’re not a fan of making your own pizza dough and find store-bought doughs kind of meh, flatbreads are an amazing option and a delicious alternative to old-school pizza crust.
I almost always have a stack of naan or pita bread in my pantry or freezer and they make the most fantastic little personal pizzas. While the french bread and bagel pizzas are perfect for someone who wants a thick, fluffy pizza, flatbreads cater to the thin crust crowd. They’re light and crispy and a perfect base for all your favorite toppings. Around here we are all about the thin crust!
The other perk here, of course, is that everyone in your family can customize their own personal pizza with toppings.
I’ve been pushing flatbread pizza on y’all for years now and have built up quite the arsenal of ideas.
FLATBREAD PIZZA FTW
- Three Cheese Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza
- Broccoli and Cheddar Four-Cheese Pizza
- Cheesy Broccoli Kale Pesto Pizza
- BBQ Hawaiian Flatbread Pizzas
- Balsamic Veggie Flatbread Pizza
So naturally we needed another. With caramelized mushrooms…. and creamy havarti cheese…. and crispy shallots…. and something green for good measure! (We like to make it rain spinach over here) Please tell me I’m not the only one trying to eat my screen right now. These caramelized mushroom flatbread pizzas are SO GOOD!
Caramelized Mushroom Flatbread Pizzas
This recipe can be used to make two large flatbread pizzas (with traditional naan or pita bread) or you can grab minis and make four pizzas! My local grocery store has been carrying a few varieties of mini toaster-sized naan for a while now and I’m loving them! You can use plain, garlic, or whole grain flatbreads here!
Caramelized Mushroom Flatbread Pizzas
Yield 2-4 servings
Recipe yields 2 large flatbread pizzas or 4 minis.
- 8 oz crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or your favorite healthy oil
- 1 shallot, approx. 1/4 cup chopped
- 2 oz Havarti or Mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz parmesan cheese
- 2 large or 4 mini flatbreads
- 2-4 TBSP pesto
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice mushrooms, chop shallots, and grate your cheeses.
- Bring a large pan or skillet to high heat (I set mine to an 8/10) so the mushrooms have enough room. Once hot, add 1 TBSP of oil and your mushrooms in a single layer if possible. (It's okay if some overlap) Allow them to sear for 2 minutes untouched until golden on the bottom, then sauté for an additional 2 minutes or until browned and tender. Reduce heat to medium, move mushrooms to the side. Add a little drizzle of oil to the empty side of the skillet and add your shallots. Sauté briefly until crispy and browned. Transfer mixture to a bowl/plate.
- Spread pesto onto your flatbreads and top with some of the cheese mixture (save half for topping). Next add your mushroom-shallot mixture, remaining cheese, and chopped spinach.
- Place on a lined or greased baking sheet and place on the center rack oven. Bake for 5-8 minutes for mini naan or approx. 8-12 for large flatbread. Mine were little and ready in about 6 minutes!
- Dive in while it's hot and enjoy!
No shallots? No problem! You can absolutely use minced onion or garlic (or a little of both!) in place of the shallots. The flavor profiles are similar and all rock in this recipe. Just make sure you choose at least one of them.
Arugula and spinach are totally interchangeable here based on preference/availability.
Craving a bit of savory sweetness? A little drizzle of balsamic glaze on top is glorious!
If you get a chance to try these easy cheesy caramelized mushroom flatbread pizzas, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.