Say hello to my new favorite Summer salad! This tasty vegetarian Marinated Tomato Salad is wicked easy to make and full of flavor!
Marinated tomatoes are my latest obsession!
Every year I grow more cherry tomatoes than I know what to do with but this year I know EXACTLY what I’m making with them.
ALL. SUMMER. LONG.
Marinated Tomato Salad
This scrumptious salad features a bed of fresh leafy greens topped with a flavorful blend of red onion, edamame, easy peasy homemade salt and pepper croutons, and a hearty helping of marinated tomatoes that doubles as the most dreeeeamy dressing.
It has the most glorious panzanella vibe to it that I seriously can’t get enough of!
When I’m feeling fesity I’ll top it with some fresh from the garden basil and some salty crumbled feta cheese… gah!
I can’t wait for you to try it!!!
special diets and swaps
Vegan friends, simply skip the optional feta and you’re good to go!
Need a T-Rex twist? Some crumbled bacon (veggie or regular) would be amazing here too!
I love using my backyard cherry tomatoes here but you can also use chopped up grape tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, campari tomatoes and/ or Roma tomatoes. As long as they’re juicy and ripe any tomatoes will do!
Marinated Tomato Salad
- 4-5 cups chopped green leaf lettuce
- 1 cup edamame (cooked from frozen)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (skip if vegan)
- 2 cups cubed crusty baguette/french bread stale or fresh
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound ripe cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 red onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 clove garlic smashed and minced into a paste
- optional fresh basil leaves
- First let's marinate those tomatoes! Quarter cherry tomatoes and slice onion into thin strips add to a medium bowl. Smash peeled garlic and mince into a paste. Season with a pinch of salt and add to veggies.Next add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, freshly cracked black pepper, and fresh basil if you have some handy! Mix to coat the tomatoes and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you have a wee bit more time to plan for, 1-2 hours marinating time. These babies are well worth the wait and make a great salad topper that doubles as a dressing!
- Next make the croutons. Preheat oven to 375°F and cut bread into cubes. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil and add your bread. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix. Bake for 10 minutes or until croutons are crispy and golden brown.
- In a large bowl combine chopped lettuce with edamame and croutons. Top with marinated tomatoes/onion (along with all the tasty marinade) and feta cheese. Toss to coat and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this marvelous Marinated Tomato Salad, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Want to round out your meal plan? Serve this tasty tomato salad alongside a bowl of Creamy Tomato Soup or with an easy, cheesy Grilled Cheese Pita loaded with fresh spinach and cheese.
It would also make an amazing side salad to serve with a hearty Vegetarian Chili Burger or a healthy veggie-loaded Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich. SO GOOD!
Delicious!! We tried this salad for the first time last week with your awesome bbq chicken spaghetti squash, and since then we have had it twice. Thanks again for sharing!
DAY = MADE!!
Love this salad so much! It’s fresh and the extra crunch with the edamame is my favorite part.
So glad you’re loving it Ashley – thank you!
Such a bright salad for summer! I love all the flavors!
Thank you Shadi! We’re loving this Summer salad like woah!