We’re loving this quick and easy Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas! Stove-top instructions also available below. Vegetarian + GF
So I totally make all my soups in my Instant Pot now. Like seriously, all of them. It’s glorious because I get slow simmered flavor in a fraction of the time, often with little to no effort on my part. If you’re in the market for one, let me be the annoying friend shouting “DOOOOO IT!!!!” from the rooftops.
Since I know most of you haven’t taken that leap yet, I’m including complete stove top instructions for ya. After all, that’s how I made this tomato soup pre-IP!
No matter which method you use, this soup is good! Creamy tomato soup has to be, hands-down, one of my favorite comfort foods of all time. I usually serve mine up with baked mozzarella balls, grilled cheese, or a cheesy quesadilla but lately I’ve been keeping things light with my crispy parmesan roasted chickpeas on top. LOVE IT SO!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas
Craving a kiss of heat and spice? Try it with my zesty Shawarma Chickpeas on top!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas
We’re loving this quick and easy Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas! No pressure cooker? No problem! Stove-top instructions also available in the post below. Vegetarian + GF
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes extra as desired
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 TBSP dried basil or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar optional*
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 3 oz cream cheese or heavy cream (add to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
CRISPY PARMESAN CHICKPEAS
- 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP finely grated Parmesan cheese approx. 1/2 oz
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
FOR THE SOUP
- Switch your pressure cooker to the saute funtion and sauté onion in 1 TBSP oil for 3-5 minutes, until edges are golden and brown.
- Next add garlic and sauté for a minute more to bring out the flavor.
- Add seasoning (salt, oregano, basil, and (optional) sugar) along with carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and broth.
- Set to high pressure for 15 minutes and allow to come to pressure, allowing a natural pressure release.
- Lastly, give the soup a taste and adjust broth/tomato/seasoning to taste, adding any extra of whatever you prefer to get your ideal thickness and flavor.
- Add all your roasted chickpeas on top (and a sprinkle of parmesan if you're feeling cheesy) and dive in!
FOR THE CHICKPEAS
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander or sieve and rinse well.
- Pat the chickpeas very dry with a clean dishtowel or paper towels. The drier the chickpeas, the crispier your end result. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for a few minutes, and remove any chickpea skins that come off while drying.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil and salt until all your little chicka-peas are coated, then arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast on the center rack for 20 to 25 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Stir or shake the pan of chickpeas at the 10 minute mark for even crispiness.
- While still hot from the oven, toss the chickpeas with the spices and parmesan cheese.
Yields approx. 2 large bowls or 4 one-cup servings.
* I add a pinch of sugar to my tomato soup to help cut the natural acidity of the tomatoes. My husband requests this little addition a lot. The carrots and cream cheese also help, so if needed feel free to skip the sugar and add a little extra carrot/cream to the mix, to taste.
These are the electric pressure cooker instructions. For stove top instructions, see blog post below.
Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this crazy tasty Instant Pot creamy tomato soup, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Question: is it weird that I crave chickpeas? I’m talking cah-raaaaave with a capital C. It’s totally a thing right? No?
Anwho! I’m writing this up while a bowl of leftover soup warms on the stovetop right now and I almost can’t fathom eating it without a tray of chickpeas. Since trying the combo last week I am head over heels obsessed with the combo. The lusciously thick and creamy soup topped with crispy-yet-chewy seasoned chickpeas… GAH! I suppose I should pre-heat the oven, eh?
No pressure cooker? No problem! This soup cooks up easily on the stove with just a few simple steps.
- In a large stainless steel pot or dutch oven, sauté onions in oil until tender.
- Once the onions are translucent, add garlic and sauté for a minute more to bring out the flavor.
- Season with salt, oregano, basil, and (optional) sugar.
- Add carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, cream cheese and broth. Simmer on low for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have shacked up together.
- Next, puree using a hand held immersion blender until fabulously smooth and bisque-like. You can also blend the soup, in batches, in your blender or food processor. If using a blender/processor, let the soup cool slightly before blending for safety.
- Serve piping hot topped with crispy parmesan chickpeas.
love your leftovers!
The leftovers for this Instant Pot creamy tomato soup are phenomenal! Like with most tomato based soups the flavors are somehow even better the next day, which makes prepping grab and go lunches for work or school a total breeze.
Make the chickpeas sans parmesan (you can store a little cup of grated parm in the fridge to take along with your soup if desired) and they will keep in an airtight container on the counter for a few days. The chickpeas are always crunchiest straight off the pan, so expect your leftover garbanzos to be more chewy and tender, but still super flavorful and great with this soup!
Hope y’all LOVE this Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup with Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas!