Get ready to curl up with a bowl of this Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup! It’s packed with veggies and full of flavor!
There is a box of four-cheese tortellini in my fridge or freezer at all times.
It’s one of those weeknight life savers for when we’re way busier than expected and need dinner in a hurry.
Within minutes I can transform a plain box-o-tortellini into an amazing soup, pasta salad, or casserole with a hearty helping of veggies and a whole lot of flavor!
I used cheese tortellini, but spinach tortellini, mushroom tortellini, spicy sausage tortellini, and chicken tortellini would all work here depending on diet and preference.
Right now we’re LOVING this creamy tortellini vegetable soup!
This veggie-loaded soup has a pot-pie sort of vibe to it. So much in fact, that my husband asked if I can add rotisserie chicken to it next time for him.
I’ll take mine with extra veggies and some carbs for dunking! This scrumptious soup can be paired with it with fresh bakery croissants, baguette, or even fluffy biscuits if you’d like!
Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup
Meal prepping for the week? This soup is a great make-ahead option and will keep approx. 4-5 days in the fridge.
Leftover bowls can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove on low heat or in the microwave.
Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup
- 1-2 TBSP avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot (approx. 4 carrots)
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 9 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Bring a dutch oven or large pot to medium-high heat with 1-2 TBSP of oil (simply add as needed) and sauté carrot, onion, and broccoli for 5-8 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, then stir in Italian seasoning and broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, covered.
- While the veggies simmer, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add flour and stir vigorously with a metal whisk to cook the flour and start a roux. After about a minute, slowly add milk and whisk well.
- Stirring often, allow the milk to heat up and simmer, whisking as it thickens. Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and slowly add freshly grated cheddar cheese, stirring as it melts. Set aside.
- Add tortellini, frozen peas, and chopped spinach to the veggies/broth and remove from heat. Pour/stir in cream sauce and mix well. Allow soup to sit while it cools a bit (it will be piping hot!) allowing the peas and tortelllini to warm through and soften and the soup to thicken slightly.
- Season with any additonal salt/pepper/italian seasoning and enjoy!
- This soup is fantastic served with grilled cheese or bread/rolls for dunking if you'd like.
If you get a chance to try this creamy tortellini vegetable soup, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
more tasty tortellini recipes
hungry for more?
This Garlic Parmesan Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli dish is a crazy easy weeknight dinner recipe!
Pair today’s creamy tortellini soup recipe with a healthy green salad! My Marinated Tomato Salad is a tasty option and so is my Broccoli Kale Salad! You could also pair it with fresh baked bread or rolls.