This crazy good Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread gets its rock star status from two classic mix-ins: ooey gooey cheddar cheese and fiery jalapeño. The result is a kiss of heat blanketed by cheesy cornbread goodness.
I almost kind of miss the days that I could get by on boxed cornbread mix. Mainly because homemade cornbread is DANGEROUS, yo!
It’s hot, fluffy, and delightfully buttery… I can’t resist diving in for a second slice.
Or… just hand me the pan and no one get’s hurt!
I’ve been measuring out my own dry mix and storing it in mason jars in the pantry and it’s so gosh darn easy to whip up a pan of fluffy + fragrant cornbread that no bowl of chili in this house shall ever go without it’s cornbread counterpart.
If you’re team cuckoo-for-cornbread you totally get my obsession right? I love it so!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Recently I decided to give my classic cornbread recipe the gold star treatment and jazz it up with fresh jalapeños and melty cheddar cheese.
I mean, technically this is also a classic in it’s own right?
It’s a fantastic combo that has been around for ages and for good reason too! The pairing is a total delight.
Did I mention that it’s freezer-friendly too? Oh yes! Enjoy a few squares now and stock the freezer with the rest for your next chili night!
cheesy jalapeno cornbread ingredients
- all purpose flour
- yellow cornmeal
- greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- minced fresh jalapeno
- grated cheddar cheese
- green onion (scallions)
- baking soda
- garlic powder
For a fluffy (but totally flavorless!) boost I also like to add a tablespoon of vinegar to my milk. After it sits for a few minutes it turns regular milk into a speedy faux buttermilk that’s great for cornbread and gives a little extra rise to this fluffy cornbread. Give it a try!
The combination of jalapeño, cheddar cheese, and scallions is totally irresistible and I’m so excited for you to try this recipe!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 TBSP vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (plus extra for topping)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh jalapeños (approx. 2 medium jalapeños)
- 2 TBSP chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prep an 8×8 inch square pan by rubbing with butter or coconut oil.
- Combine yogurt, milk, and vinegar. Mix and set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat, melt your butter.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in sugar. Whisk until well blended.
- Next, quickly add your eggs and beat until well incorporated.
- Add in milk mixture and stir.
- Add jalapeños, green onion, and cheddar cheese and stir.
- Next add your cornmeal mixture and beat until very few lumps remain.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to test for doneness. If it comes out clean the cornbread is ready! When it’s at the 25 minute mark I like to sprinkle a little extra cheddar on top to get all hot and melty. Optional but delicious!
- Place on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
There are a few cornbread recipes on this little blog of mine if you’re looking for some variety. You can snag my bakery inspired Jiffy-style cornbread muffins or try your hand at a sweet dessert-y blueberry cornbread skillet HERE.
Next up I want to start testing a Gluten-Free variety because everyone needs a good wheat-free cornbread in their arsenal! If you have one you love, totally let me know!
crazy for chili? try one of these!
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili (Instant Pot + Stove Top)
- Vegan Lentil Chili
- Classic Chili via Spend with Pennies
- Healthy Vegetarian Chili
If you get a chance to try this Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!