I work out. I eat cheese. Whatever!
- 1 large russet potato [add a few extra if feeding a crowd]
- your favorite healthy oil
- dried parsley, cayenne, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to taste
- plus all your favorite nachos toppings! [see below]
- t-rex chefs: add some shredded chicken or pork and have at it
- vegansaurus chefs: skip the cheese or add some daiya instead. This dish is easily veganized and oh-so flavorful either way. You can also make it with butternut squash! [recipe]
- Set your oven to BROIL on high.
- Wash and peel your potatoes [or leave the skin on for extra nutrients!] and cut into discs. I like mine the same thickness and texture as steak fries. Crunchy, crust-like outside and a fluffy mashed potato-like center. It makes me weak in the knees.
- Spritz or rub with your favorite oil [olive, coconut, etc...] and sprinkle with cayenne pepper, dried parsley, and a little salt and pepper if you'd like!
- Lay flat on a wire cooling rack or grilling rack and set atop a reflective baking sheet. This will allow both sides to cook evenly and prevent mushiness. I use this same tecnique for my mozz balls and squash fries too -- it's foolproof!
- Broil on high for 10-20 minutes. They're done once they start to bubble and turn golden brown on the surface.
- Pull from the oven, lay flat on foil or a baking sheet and pile on the cheese!
- Flip your oven to 350 and bake until the cheese is seductively melty.
- Then pile on the rest of your toppings and dig in!
so… how was it? Orgasmic. Obviously! Before you start to shriek “But Jenn! The calories!!!!!” take a deep breath and calm the eff down. Living burns calories! So keep doing that, and you’ll be a-ok. Class dismissed =)