Baked Butternut Squash Steak Fries
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut the round, bulbous part of the squash off first, reserve for later. Peel the long handle-like part of the butternut squash using a veggie peeler. I actually don’t own a functional vegetable peeler so I use a cheese slicer. Don’t laugh! It works on more than just cheese. I’ve been using it to peel cucumbers, squash, and potatoes for years and years.
- Cut squash into 4-inch strips about half an inch thick.
- Coat fries with approx 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Arrange evenly spaced on a wire cooling rack and set atop a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. This is my favorite faux-frying technique! Crispy outside, fluffy inside… It never fails me.
- Pop em in the oven at 450F, set your timer to 30 minutes, and walk away. The oven will take care of the rest!
Oh… and the seasoning blend on these babies? glor. i. ous.
so skip the plain white spuds and try squash instead!