This tasty taco hummus is a party on a plate! It makes a fun party appetizer to share with friends or a great snack for the family to faceplant into after school or work.
We’ve been on a bit of a hummus kick lately and I’m crazy excited to share my latest creation with y’all!
This delish dip has a 7-layer dip vibe to it but with taco spiced hummus in place of the refried beans.
It’s fun, flavorful, and easy to make!
Feel free to add your favorite toppings to the mix (helloooo avocado!) and turn it into a snack plate or party platter with tons of tasty extras.
Go the traditional route with pita wedges and slice veggies or mix things up by scooping this dip with crunchy tortilla chips!
Looking for veggie inspiration for a taco hummus party platter? Colorful sliced bell pepper, halved sweet mini peppers, baby carrots, celery sticks, cucumber slices, and cauliflower florets are all great options!
special diets and swaps
As written this recipe is deliciously vegan and gluten-free.
Feeling cheesy? Some crumbled feta or cotija cheese would be a delicious addition. You could even drizzle some sour cream on top if you’d like. Have fun with it!
If you don’t have chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne handy you could certainly utilize your go-to taco seasoning blend for this dip. Simply add a Tablespoon to start and then taste as you go, adding extra as needed/desired. If using a pre-made mix with salt in it you’ll also want to hold off on adding the salt until after you’re able to taste test. If anything this is a delicious excuse to turn hummus prep time into snack time. Just dive in with a tortilla chip and adjust to taste.
Taco hummus FTW! We love pairing this creamy, flavorful dip with fresh pico de Gallo and crispy tortilla chips.
- 15 oz canned chickpeas
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 TBSP lemon or lime juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika plus extra for topping
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 TBSP avocado oil or olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ¼ cup tahini plus extra, to taste
- 2 TBSP ice water
SPEEDY PICO DE GALLO
- 1 large roma tomato
- 1 jalapeño
- ⅓ cup diced white onion
- ⅛ tsp salt
- fresh cilantro to taste
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, then add to a medium saucepan with 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Pour in water until it's about an inch or two above the chickpeas, then set to boil on high for 20 minutes. Toss your garlic in after 10/15 minutes to soften.
- While the chickpeas boil away, make your pico. Dice the tomato and onion, then minced the jalapeño after removing the seeds and stem. For a spicy topping, add some of the seeds back in! Combine veggies with cilantro and salt, then set aside.
- Pour chickpeas and garlic into a fine mesh strainer and drain. You can pick off any skins that popped off the chickpeas if you'd like but it's totally optional!
- In a trusty food processor or high-powered blender, add chickpeas, lemon/lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and avocado/olive oil. Blend well.
- Scrape down the sides as needed and add tahini and ice water. Continue blending until hummus is delightfully smooth and creamy!
- Feel free to add any extra tahini, oil, or ice water as needed. Next, add any extra seasoning to taste (I always dive in with a tortilla chip or a carrot to taste test) and scrape into a bowl for serving.
- Top hummus with Pico de Gallo, as well as a drizzle of oil and sprinkle of paprika. Dive in with your favorite dippers!
This healthy hummus was inspired by Sabra’s Taco Inspired Hummus. Love it so!
If you get a chance to try this tasty taco hummus, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
hungry for more hummus?
- Spicy Hummus with Jalapeño Salsa
- Mediterranean Bruschetta Hummus Platter
- Layered Greek Hummus Dip
- Healthy Hummus Stuffed Peppers <– you could totally use this taco hummus in this easy recipe!