This Black Bean Salsa is perfect as a dip, taco topper, party appetizer, and even as a taco salad mix-in too! We love the simple ingredients and big flavor.
I’ve long been crushing on the classic, totally tasty combo of black beans and corn.
If I’ve added either to a dish, chances are the other is sure to follow!
This perfect pairing is featured in my crazy popular Baked Black Bean and Sweet Potato Flautas as well as in my Mexican Veggie Burgers and Black Bean Quinoa Salad.
Today’s recipe features black beans and corn in salsa form, alongside fresh ripe tomatoes, onion, scallions, cilantro. A little sea salt here, a little lime juice there, and the result is a tasty topping for tortilla chips, salads, tacos, burrito bowls, and more!
Though I often treat this black bean and corn salsa like a dip, I’ve recently started serving it up as a side salad for some of our favorite Mexican-inspired dishes. Last week we had it with vegetarian Mexican Pizza Lasagna. It was so amazing both my husband and I went back for seconds!
This salsa can be enjoyed right away, but it’s also even more flavorful once it’s had some time to chill overnight in the fridge.
You know what that means people — MEAL PREP! It’s an easy make-ahead option to make once and enjoy all week long.
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa
- 1.5-2 cups black beans (canned or cooked from dried)
- 2 cups corn (canned or thawed/steamed from frozen)
- 2 large tomatoes (2 cups diced)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice plus extra to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep your veggies, draining and rinsing beans/corn as needed. In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped green onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Top with fresh-squeezed lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- For maximum flavor, cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator. (Helloooo meal prep!) If needed, dip may be enjoyed right away or chilled for however much time available.
- Season to taste as needed, adding extras of any of your favorites. You can even add some fresh chopped avocado, bell peppers, white onion, or jalapeño to the mix. I love adding spicy jalapeños, extra lime juice, and extra cilantro - delicious!
- Serve with crunchy tortilla chips as a tasty dip or serve on top of your favorite protein, tacos, salads, burrito bowls, etc... It's fantastic every which way!
Feeling feisty? You can totally enjoy this dip salad-style with a zesty cilantro lime dressing!
cilantro lime dressing
- 3 TBSP lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp honey (or agave/sugar if vegan)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
To make the cilantro lime vinaigrette, combine all the above ingredients in a small mason jar and shake well. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Add a little extra cilantro to garnish (as much or as little as you’d like!) and dig in!
Hungry for more?
Get your Taco Tuesday on with these Guacamole Tacos or a big bowl of Mexican Kale Salad with Zesty Cilantro Lime Dressing.
In the mood for stuffed peppers? Put a Tex-Mex spin on things with these Healthy Stuffed Peppers topped with a creamy Cilantro Avocado Sauce.
Looking for a classic salsa? My Wicked Easy Restaurant-Style Salsa is always a hit!
If you get a chance to try this Black Bean Salsa, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Great recipe! Is the nutritional information per cup?
Thanks Emily! Each serving is approx. 3/4 cup of salsa.
This is such a perfect blend of flavors! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
Thank you Toni!
A perfect Game Day dip! Love all the fresh ingredients you added to this. I’m ready to dig in.
Thanks Julie! This is hands-down one of my favorite salsa recipes to share at a party or potluck… orrrr just scarfing myself at home bc it’s that good!
Delicious salsa! The flavors are amazing. I can’t wait to make this next time I’m throwing a party.
YAY! Thanks Natalie!
Delicious and so easy. I like to put this on top of a salad with some grilled chicken.
OMG such a good use of this salad – def trying that soon!
There’s crazy big flavors in this salsa! I made it for a small group and we gobbled it all up!
So glad it was a hit! Yay!!
Unbelievable flavor!! The different textures and flavors reminded me of Southern California.
I love this so much! My favorite is to enjoy this with Lime Tortilla Chips! Soooo Good!
Lime tortilla chips are a genius pairing! So trying this combo next time we make it!
This looks delicious! Love all of the flavor combinations. Can’t wait to try it!
You’re going to adore it! Keep me posted! xo
I made this black bean salsa many times over and added finely diced jalapeños. It requires more prep work than your traditional salsa, but it’s always a crowd pleaser and serves as either a dip or a topping for tacos etc. It also keeps well in the fridge for a few days and is the perfect yielding size.
I’m so thrilled you’ve been enjoying the recipe, Ashley! Thank you so much!
This is an amazing recipe! I’m trying to count calories. Can you tell me how much a serving would be?
Thanks Chelsie! The recipe yields 8 servings at 81 calories per serving. xoxo
Beautiful colors and amazing textures! Definitely a go-to for taco night, or even just with some tortilla chips!
I could just eat this with a spoon, so yummy!
So glad you’re loving it! We legit can’t stop making this salsa!
This black bean salsa is perfect for Mexican night!
Oh totally! Thanks Tisha!