These sweet potato nachos are not only insanely delicious but will convince even sweet potato skeptics to abandon ship on their stubbornness and dive in!
Sweet Potato Nachos
Translation: They’re insanely delicious and just may convince that sweet potato skeptic in your wolfpack to abandon ship on their stubbornness and dive right in!
I’ve already turned a few of my sweet potato hating friends into super fans with this crave-worthy recipe.
It’s magic I tell you. MAGIC!
tasty topping ideas for sweet potato nachos:
- black beans
- fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- pico de gallo
- black olives
- pickled red onion
- chopped green onion
- shredded romaine lettuce, spinach, spring mix
- corn salsa
- chopped bell peppers or sweet mini peppers
- leftover veggies salvaged from the back of your fridge
- and so. much. more.
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2-1 cup freshly grated cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, mexican blend)
- spray oil or favorite oil, as needed
- 1/8-1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8-1/4 tsp garlic powder
- cayenne pepper (spicy) or paprika (mild) to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- plus all your favorite nacho toppings from the list below
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°F.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Remove the skin with a veggie peeler and slice into discs with a sharp knife or mandolin.
- Drizzle, rub, or spray the slices with your favorite healthy oil (avocado, coconut, olive, etc…) and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or pan. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne/paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Top with your choice of veggies, beans, and cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is hot and bubbly!
- Lastly, layer on cold toppings such as greek yogurt or sour cream, guacamole, salsa, green onion, and anything else you might be jonesin’ for. Then simply introduce them to your face! You’re welcome.
special diets and swaps
- VEGAN FRIENDS: skip the cheese entirely or add some vegan cheese instead! You can also make them with butternut squash! (recipe)
- PALEO + WHOLE30: Skip the cheese in favor of a mountain of salsa and guac as your topping. YUM!
- T-REX: feel free to grab some bacon (yeah, I said it!) or add some shredded chicken or pork and have at it. This would be a fabulous way to use up leftovers from the night before!
Want to make these sweet potato nachos for a crowd?
Simply grab a few more sweet potatoes and some extra toppings and you’re good to go!
These make excellent party food and the leftovers can be popped in the microwave [or back in the oven!] and enjoyed the following day.
No excuses; make them!
so . . . how are they?!
Sweet, savory, and will forever be in recipe rotation in my kitchen. think it’s my goal in life to get everyone hooked on savory sweet potatoes in some shape or form.
Ok one of my goals, that is. Somewhere between learning how to sew and world domination…
Though I may just be watching too much Pinky and the Brain again.
If you get a chance to try these sweet potato nachos, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!