These sweet potato nachos are not only insanely delicious but will convince even sweet potato skeptics to abandon ship on their stubbornness and dive in!
Sweet Potato Nachos
Translation: They’re insanely delicious and just may convince that sweet potato skeptic in your wolfpack to abandon ship on their stubbornness and dive right in! I’ve turned a few of my sweet potato hating friends into super fans with this crave-worthy recipe.
Sweet Potato Nachos
Yield 2-4 servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- a few ounces of grated cheese [cheddar, gouda, pepperjack, mex blend, etc...]
- a spoonful or two of your favorite healthy oil [spray or regular]
- chili powder, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- a sprinkle or two of cayenne pepper
- plus all your favorite nacho toppings!
To take the savory-sweet combo a step further, grab some ground cinnamon and sprinkle that over the sweet potatoes too! I tried this the other day and practically swooned into my plate; SO GOOD!
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next grab your sweet potatoes and scrub them clean!
- Remove the skin with a veggie peeler and slice into discs with a sharp knife or mandolin.
- Drizzle, rub, or spray the slices with your favorite healthy oil [I love using EVOO and/or coconut oil] and arrange in a single layer [though some overlapping is a-ok!] on a baking sheet or pan.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Top with your choice of veggies, beans, and cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is hot and bubbly!
- Lastly, layer on cold toppings such as greek yogurt or sour cream, guacamole, salsa, green onion, and anything else you might be jonesin' for. Then simply introduce them to your face! You're welcome.
To make these gloriously paleo, simply skip the dairy in favor of a mountain of guacamole and salsa. SO GOOD!
special diets and swaps
- VEGAN: skip the cheese entirely or add some vegan cheese instead! You can also make them with butternut squash! (recipe)
- PALEO + WHOLE30: Skip the cheese in favor of a mountain of salsa and guac as your topping. YUM!
- T-REX: feel free to grab some bacon (yeah, I said it!) or add some shredded chicken or pork and have at it. This would be a fabulous way to use up leftovers from the night before!
tasty topping ideas:
- black beans
- fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- pico de gallo
- black olives
- chopped green onion
- shredded romaine lettuce, spinach, spring mix
- yellow corn or mexi-corn with peppers
- chopped bell peppers or sweet mini peppers
- leftover veggies salvaged from the back of your fridge
- and so. much. more.
No excuses; make them!
:: pin it for later ::
so . . . how are they?!
Sweet, savory, and will forever be in recipe rotation in my kitchen. think it’s my goal in life to get everyone hooked on savory sweet potatoes in some shape or form. Ok one of my goals, that is. Somewhere between learning how to sew and world domination…
Though I may just be watching too much Pinky and the Brain again.