Everyone loves this easy cheesy black bean queso dip! Bold black beans and cheesy pepper jack are a match made in dipping heaven. We love it with crunchy tortilla chips and as a base for the most EPIC quesadilla!
I’m strolling down memory lane with this recipe today! As always, most of my memories revolve around food.
There’s a burrito barn in Wilmington that has the most ridiculous black bean queso ever.
It was getting to the point where I was starting to fantasize about driving two hours just to quell the craving. In traffic. With. A. Toddler.
Once I got a handle on my queso-goggles and came to my senses, I did what any hungry food blogger would do. I made my own!
Staying true to my roots, I skipped over the questionably processed cheese product and went straight for the good stuff. There’s almost always a brick of Cabot in my fridge and it beats the pants off of the shelf stable block of… what is that stuff anyways? It scares me. On second thought, I don’t want to know! I’ll stick with pepper jack.
Skillet Black Bean Queso Dip
This easy cheesy queso is one of the most popular recipes on my blog, and for good reason too! This delish dip is not only easy to make, it’s downright crave-worthy. Drop a skillet of this stuff in front of your friends at a party or potluck and it’s sure to vanish in record time!
Skillet Black Bean Queso Dip
- ¾ cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 15 oz vegetarian refried black beans (1 can)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, freshly grated plus a few extra ounces for topping
- 1 oz grated mozzarella for topping
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes for topping [deliciously spicy + optional!]
- ¼ tsp dried parsley for topping
- tortilla chips and veggies for dipping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take out pepper jack cheese and cream cheese ahead of time and allow to soften.
- Next combine your beans and green salsa in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet and bring to medium heat on your stove top, stirring frequently.
- Add softened cream cheese, salt, and cayenne pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Once the beans are hot and the cream cheese has fully melted, slowly add freshly grated pepper jack cheese, stirring constantly to incorporate.
- Top with extra pepper jack, grated mozzarella cheese, parsley and red pepper flakes, and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
- To make the cheese bubbly and golden, switch your oven to broil on high for just a minute or so [keep an eye on it to prevent burning]
- Dig in right away and store leftovers for up to 4 days in a covered bowl. May be reheated in the oven or microwave. Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this black bean queso dip, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
It tastes great the first day, fabulous the next, and the third day? You’ll have to make more because it’s gone baby gone!
Want to make this in a pressure cooker? Try my Instant Pot Black Bean Dip!