This hearty White Bean and Tomato Soup is big on flavor and fantastically healthy thanks to its combination of veggies and legumes in a light, savory broth.
The weather in TX right now is straight up possessed. It can’t make its mind up between Winter and Spring and the back and forth is giving me whiplash.
All I want is a cool 60 degree day and to curl up with a piping hot bowl of soup.
With a giant hunk of bread.
And alllllll the red pepper flakes.
Today’s recipe, this wicked awesome White Bean and Tomato Soup, fit the bill and then some. It was fantastic the first day and even better the next!
One thing I love about this healthy soup recipe is that it’s mostly made of pantry staples with just a few fresh mix-ins.
We’ll brighten things up with a little lemon zest and sprinkle in some fresh herbs to deepen the flavors but if you have to use dried herbs in their place, you totally can. Simply adjust the amounts to taste as dried herbs are a bit more concentrated than fresh.
I started planting parsley, thyme, scallions, and basil in little pots on my windowsill and they’re pretty hearty plants! I forget to water them constantly but they keep on growing all the same.
- yellow onion
- canned fire roasted tomatoes
- canned white beans (great northern, cannellini, butter beans, etc…)
- vegetable broth or chicken broth
- lemon zest
- fresh parsley
- fresh basil
- fresh thyme
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
The base recipe for this super cozy soup is vegan and vegetarian.
If you’re one of my T-Rex friends and want to use chicken broth, you absolutely can. You can also top your soup with parmesan or pecorino romano cheese if you’d like!
Another delicious mix-in you can add to this soup is chopped kale or spinach. Stir it in at the end before serving for an extra burst of color and nutrients.
I think my favorite beans to use for this soup are great northern beans. They get so deliciously creamy and soak up all the flavors of the soup.
This scrumptious soup can pretty much be a meal all on it’s own (since it’s a cross between a soup ad a stew) but I always love serving it alongside something carb-y like a crusty baguette with butter or homemade garlic bread.
Other deeeelish options include two of the classics – half a sandwich or a light side salad.
- Simple Side Salad Recipe
- Lemon Parmesan Kale Side Salad
- Spinach and Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Pitas
- Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Ultimate Veggie Sandwich
These are a few of my favorites but the options really are endless. I’m so super stoked for you to try this white bean and tomato soup recipe!
White Bean and Tomato Soup
I’ve managed to get super fixated on this particular soup recipe and it’s already back on the menu again this week. I polished off the entire batch by myself the first time and I suppose this time around I’ll save some for my family to try too.
Let’s get our recipe on!
White Bean and Tomato Soup
- 2 TBSP olive oil plus any extra desired for drizzling
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 TBSP fresh chopped parsley or 1 TBSP dried, to taste
- 1-2 tsp fresh chopped basil or ½-1 tsp dried, to taste
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½-1 tsp dried, to taste
- 2 cans white beans (great northern, cannellini, butter)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth will work too)
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- chopped spinach or kale
- extra fresh parsley for topping
- parmesan or pecorino romano cheese (skip for vegan)
- baguette or garlic bread for dunking (skip for GF)
- Drain and rinse beans. Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot to medium-high heat with 2 tsp olive oil.
- Sauté onion for 5 minutes to soften, then add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in beans, broth, and fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Stir in lemon zest. Taste test and adjust salt, pepper, and herbs to taste. I love it with a little extra crushed red pepper flakes for a kiss of spiciness in the broth. So good!
- Enjoy! You can top each bowl with a little drizzle of olive oil (I did!) and any optional extras your heart desires.
- This soup is great the first day and fantastic the next! Feel free to warm up leftover bowls the following day or prepare this soup as part of your weekly meal prep.
More Tasty Recipes Featuring White Beans and Tomatoes
- Tomato Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- White Bean Minestrone Soup
- Tomato Basil Vegan White Bean Dip
- White Bean Tostadas
- NEW! White Bean Noodle Soup
If you get a chance to try this healthy white bean and tomato soup, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!