Spinach and Avocado Grilled Cheese FTW! This tasty vegetarian sandwich is loaded with melty cheese, buttery avocado and a hearty helping of fresh spinach!
Say hello to one of the most random combinations of ingredients ever.
While this gorgeous green panini might be a little out of the ordinary, it is positively delicious!
It’s the perfect use for that ripe avocado on your countertop that needs to be used OMG-RIGHT-NOW before it turns on you.
Stack a little baby spinach on your favorite bread along with sliced avocado, and as much cheesy goodness as your heart desires for an epic grilled cheese sandwich.
let’s make a sandwich!
Feel free to double or triple the recipe as needed, depending on how many sandwiches you need.
You can even set out a variety of bread, cheese, and toppings and let everyone build their own ultimate grilled cheese!
You can whip it up in a panini press if you have one (I’m always looking for excuses to use mine) or make your grilled cheese the old fashioned way by gently toasting it up in a pan on the stove.
Cheesy Spinach and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
As for the ingredients? You only need five!
Spinach and Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 2-3 slices melty cheese such as American, Pepper Jack, or Mild White Cheddar
- 1/2-1 avocado (feel free to use half or a whole avocado)
- 6-10 fresh spinach leaves
- butter as needed
- Top one slice of bread with sliced or mashed avocado. To amp up the flavor, sprinkle a teeny pinch salt over the avocado – so good! Top with spinach and 2 slices of cheese then seal with remaining slice of bread.
- For an extta melty grilled cheese, add an optional additional slice of cheese to the bottom slice before adding the avocado. YUM!
- Optional: for an extra golden crust, spread the outside of each slice of bread with mayo or melted/spreadable butter.
- Next heat a pan to medium heat with a pad or two of butter. Once hot, add your sandwich.
- Use a spatula to press down on the grilled cheese, and feel free to pop a clear pot lid on top to help melt the cheese. (my favotite trick) Before flipping, add a little more spread/oil if your pan is dry. Pop your lid back on if you're using one and grill each side until golden brown.
- Slice in half and chow down while it's hot!
If you get a chance to try this spinach and avocado grilled cheese, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
ga ga for grilled cheese?
I have a few tasty recipes you’ll la la love! First, my Spinach and Tomato Grilled Cheese Pitas are a total MUST!
For my T-Rex friends, check out my crazy cheesy Sausage and Pepper Chipotle Grilled Cheese.
As for my vegan besties, you’ve GOT to make one of my three Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. The jalapeño popper one is my favorite!