This ULTIMATE Veggie Sandwich features a crazy tasty homemade pimento cheese sandwich spread and a mountain of fresh vegetables. It’s easy to make and a delicious vegetarian option for lunch!
We all need a go-to vegetarian sandwich in our lives these days, don’t you think?
Something full of flavor, piled high with fresh, nutritious vegetables, and easy enough to whip up with whatever is already chilling in the fridge…
This bad boy checks all the boxes!
These fresh and colorful sandwiches are a fantastic way to shake up your lunch routine and deliver tons of flavor in every bite!
When it comes to this vibrant veggie sandwich, only the best sandwich spread will do! That’s why I skipped the store-bought condiments and whipped up the most luxe pimento cheese spread ever!
We’re Crazy for Cabot Cheese!
Homemade pimento cheese is gloriously easy to make and so darn tasty.
The key is to use quality ingredients like Cabot cheddar cheese. The sharper the better!
I like using Cabot’s Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese since it’s the ultimate snacking cheese with flavor that really shines through in every bite.
I’m super excited to be teaming up with my longtime friends and partners at Cabot Creamery Co-op to share this easy peasy recipe! I’ve been using their amazing cheeses since I started this blog 11+ years ago and I always have a bar, or 10, in my cheese drawer!
Cabot is a co-operative owned by farm families throughout New England and New York. They’re a certified B corporation and 100% of the profits go back to the farmers.
Veggie Sandwich Serving Suggestions
The possibilities are endless when it comes to these vegetarian veggie sandwiches! For the carb component, you can reach for your favorite bread (I’m a big fan of whole grain, rye, or multigrain bread) or jazz things up with a lightly toasted pita pocket or sandwich wrap.
Of course if you’d like to keep the whole sandwich to yourself, that’s great too! The last time I made this seriously scrumptious sandwich I paired it with some crispy potato chips and a pickle. Delicious!
Let’s get our veggie sandwich on!
The recipe below makes two ultimate veggie sandwiches complete with homemade pimento cheese and suggestions for lots of optional extras and swaps to customize your dream sandwich.
Feel free to whip up just one sandwich and save some pimento cheese for snacking later, or even double the recipe as needed. The great thing about this recipe is how fun and flexible it is!
Ultimate Veggie Sandwich
FOR THE SANDWICH
- 4 slices bread
- 4-6 leaves romaine lettuce or lettuce of choice
- 6-8 slices tomato
- 8-10 slices cucumber
- ½ red bell pepper , sliced thin
- ¼-½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup homemade pimento cheese (recipe below)
TASTY OPTIONAL EXTRAS
- green bell pepper
- thinly sliced red or white onion
HOMEMADE PIMENTO CHEESE
- 4 oz plain cream cheese (½ a block) softened
- 5 oz Cabot Sharp Cheddar Cheese , coarsley grated
- ¼ cup quality mayo
- ¼ cup jarred diced pimentos
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp salt
- First make the pimento cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese with mayo, freshly grated Cabot cheddar cheese, diced pimentos, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Mix well with a fork or gently incorporate electric hand mixer on the lowest setting.
- Pimento cheese can be covered and chilled for later. Feel free to add extra spices to taste as well as double/triple the recipe if needed!
- Now let's make our sandwich!
- Thinly slice and prep veggies and toast the bread. Feel free to mix and match your favorites when it comes to the veggies and add extra of your favorite.
- Spread pimento cheese onto one side of the toast and top with your sliced vegetables. spread the remaining toast with your sandwich spread of choice (hummus, mayo, mustard, etc…) or simply leave plain if preferred. Slice sandwich in half and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this deliciously vegetarian veggie sandwich, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!