Quinoa Fried Rice

After making this fluffy quinoa fried rice for lunch and then again for dinner, I’m certain its positively perfect.

It’s also healthy and oh-so versatile.  On board?  Yeah you are!

quinoa fried rice with vegetables

After drooling over what seemed like a bajillion What I Ate Wednesday posts, my stomach politely informed me that it was time to stop looking at what other people were eating and get some food in my face already. By the way, 123 link ups!? You guys are absolute rock stars! The last WIAW I read before flinging myself into the kitchen was Priyanka’s, and it left me with a mondo craving for fried rice. Though if you saw my post, you are well aware I had already eaten beans and rice for nearly every meal of the day. No more rice for me.

Then my world was changed forever.  Fried rice is great but, what about fried quinoa?

Abso-frickin-lutely!

Quinoa Fried Rice

Quinoa Fried Rice

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: entree, side dish
Serves: 2 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1.5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
  • 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 cups of frozen or fresh veggies! (peas, carrots, onion + broccoli)
  • garlic powder and S+P to taste

• Love eggs in your fried rice? Crack one over the skillet and toss a little extra protein into the mix!

• You'll also need a teeny bit of fat for frying. a splash of olive oil, a little scoop of coconut oil or even a tiny slice of butter - totally up to you! Also, a drizzle of sweet chili sauce may or may not rock on top of this. Just sayin'
Instructions
  1. Rinse a cup of quinoa in a sieve/strainer, drain, and allow to dry on a few sheets of paper towels.
  2. Drying time will vary, I usually rinse, strain, and just walk away.
  3. Once dry, toss quinoa into a pot and allow it to toast on medium heat for just a minute or so, while stirring. You don't quite want to brown it, just a light toasting.
  4. Next add 1.5 cups of water [or chicken/veggie broth!] to your quinoa and bring to a boil.
  5. Once the bubbles start flying, reduce to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 12 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside. If it's still a little liquid-y let it simmer for another minute or so until it's nice and fluffy.
  6. While you're waiting for the quinoa to simmer to fluffy perfection, prep your veggies!
  7. I used frozen peas, fresh baby carrots, and fresh broccoli since it's what I had on hand. Any combo of veggies, frozen or fresh will work!
  8. To get them all ready for frying, I blanched (boiled) chopped broccoli florets, diced carrots, and whole peas in about an inch of water in a small frying pan.
  9. Cook the veggies until tender and drain.
  10. Add your butter/oil and garlic into the skillet with the veggies and stir frequently.
  11. By now the quinoa should be ready... toss it into the skillet with the veggies along with your soy sauce.
  12. If you're adding egg, crack one over the side of the skillet while it's still hot and fry it up into your yummy quinoa fried rice.
  13. Season to taste and pan fry for a few more minutes.
  14. Serve hot with a side of soy sauce an sweet chili sauce if you have it!
Brontosaurus Chefs Dig in! + Add some General Tso’s Tofu if you’d like!
T-Rex Chefs Enjoy as is or add some protein.  Eggs, or Shrimp stir fried in sweet chili sauce ROCK.  I also especially love making my Faux-Fried Coconut Shrimp Cups and serving them atop a bed of quinoa fried rice.  SO ridiculously good!
easy quinoa fried rice

So… How was it? I’m kicking myself for not making the switch from rice to quinoa sooner. Seriously, I may never go back.  It was super light and fluffy and had all the amazing flavor of fried rice but with more veggies and way less fat than what the restaurants are offering up =)  Just writing this up (and smelling the soy sauce that I accidentally left open on the counter) is making me want to take my go-to General Tso Tofu + Veg Fried Rice recipe and quinoa-fy it.  Yup. It’s happening =)

Seriously… YUM!

Want more quinoa fried rice?
Check out my Fluffy Keeen-Wahhh!? Tutorial + a snow pea-riffic Quinoa Fried Rice Remix!
Quinoa Fried Rice
Quinoa Fried Rice

Comments

1. Lauren @ What Lauren Likes says

Now I know what to pack for lunch tommorow! THIS :) I have quinoa and everything!! yippeee!!

2. 4loveofcarrots says

I am obsessed with quinoa and its a problem its like all I ever blog about! this looks fantastic and I am totally adding to my recipe list

3. jessie_saxton says

I have yet to try quinoa…but after reading this post…I am so going to buy some! That looks yummy:) It would be a perfect work lunch. Thanks, dear. Keep ‘em coming:)~Jessie @ Cupcakes and Craziness

This is so pretty…and so up my alley. Why oh why have I never made “fried rice” with quinoa before? Quinoa is my fave—hot, cold, plain, dressed up…thanks for inventing this. I will copy it!

Oh man, get out of my head! I just bought a big back of quinoa and making a quinoa salad is on my to do list for tomorrow!:) This looks awesome.

6. egcounce says

Yum!  Made a quinoa chickpea salad for dinner with chopped spinach and tomatoes–we’ve been riding the quinoa wave here too.  Fried quinoa–brilliant–have to try that!

7. Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean says

yum!!! very similar to the “fried rice” i made with wheatberries last week!! i agree, super hard to come up with a title, but delicious none the less :)

8. Emily Sweet says

I made almost that exact same meal last night.  I’ve been using quinoa in place of rice for a couple months.  Don’t know why I didn’t make the switch sooner!

I’m not a big fan of rice but I often make barley instead. I haven’t had quinoa in ages and I’ve never made it myself!

heee – I remember when I first made a fried “rice” with quinoa I kinda did a HMM with the name too. only for a second, though, because YEOM it is SO good. I make mine with the egg… and no peas. (sorry!).

and again, girl, these photos are GREAT! I’m emailing you now…

11. ellen.graham says

Looks amazing! I have all of these ingredients atm so will defs be making this soon! Also, a small drizzle of sesame oil would be great on it as well! (and maybe some chopped cashews?!?).

Jenn-

Try soaking your keen-wa before hand {the night before} with 1 T of bragg’s apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.  It deactivates the nasty phytic acid and seriously ups the fluff factor.

This combo sounds awesome…I just have to use GF soy sauce is all.  Thanks for planning one of my lunches for next week…

Mmm fried rice is pure comfort food, making this HEALTHY comfort food. Love it! Simple recipes that call for “I have it on hand” ingredients are the best! I want to try making this with coconut oil and sprinking a dash of coconut on top. :)

I much prefer quinoa to rice too: I’m having some for dinner today :)

I find rice to be quite bland and uninspired texturally, where as quinoa is so much more versatile in my opinion and also has that slight nuttiness whereby you don’t have to add a lot of extra flavouring to it.

Great recipe :)

15. Paula says

I finally made your veggie fried rice last night and enjoyed it.  Now I need to try this version.  Finding quinoa in my town might be a bit of a problem but we’ll see!

16. Laurita . says

I’ve never had quinoa! What kinda texture/flavor is it?? Also- your picture looks beautiful! I want your camera please! I asked for one for my birthday, but seeing as how that is next week…I think I may be waiting till Christmas, boo

that looks so good! I love quinoa. I’ve been playing with teryiaki sauce lately, trying to get that “take out taste” without the take out grease.

this looks delicious! I’ll have to add this to the rotation ;)

18. itzyskitchen says

What a great idea! Josh always raves when I make fried rice and I’ve never thought about switching up the grain used! Deliciousness and so colorful! happy weekend

19. Helennaturally says

That is awesome Jenn!  I love the idea of subbing the rice for quinoa.  So funny that I have done that in several dishes but would have never thought to do fried rice!

Love this! I am not a rice fan but fried rice always looks so darn good! I can have fried quinoa instead! ha!

I love you to pieces! I should get on pintrest, is that what its called?! lol!

Happy weekend love!!!! I am still on cloud 9, we wish we could relive it all over again!!!

That’s exactly how I make my stir fry. I put quinoa in the rice cooker and veggies in the steam basket so they all cook at the same time. Fry up some chicken or fish or steak that has been marinating in soy sauce. Throw it all together and top with a little Sriacha sauce. Fabulous.

Wowee that looks so good! I’m guilty of getting fried rice from the takeaway about once a month but this would be a much healthier (and probably tastier!) way to satisfy my cravings :D
    Can’t wait to try it out!

23. Kissmybroccoli says

Yum!! Why have I never thought to use quinoa for fried rice before?? I am LOVING that last pic girlie! I’m a sucker for angles!

Ahhh, gotta go! Late for work! :-/

PS, can you believe they blocked your blog on the work computer?? Bastages!

24. Heather says

I made this for dinner last night! YUMMY! Since I had leftovers for lunch today, I used it for WIAW! :) Sooo good!

Its delicious!!! I hope you love it too — I think I’m going to make a batch up for dinner tonight so I’ll be sure to sneak some chopsticks into the photo! Thanks for the tip! =)

Have a great weekend!!