This flavorful vegetarian quinoa fried rice with broccoli, peas, and carrots, is healthy and delicious! Your family will love this tasty gluten-free dish!
Fried rice is great but, what about stir-fried quinoa?
After making this fluffy quinoa fried rice for lunch and then again for dinner, I’m certain its positively perfect.
This scrumptious side dish is also healthy and totally easy to customize based on what you have on hand.
Ready to get your quinoa fried rice on? Yeah you are! Let’s do this!
special diets and swaps
Of course it goes without saying that you can always add extra veggies to the mix! I love tossing in zucchini when I have it handy and will even add corn, snow peas, snap peas, or green beans to the mix when I have some to use up. Diced red bell pepper is also a super tasty additon.
Vegetarian + Vegan extras
T-Rex quinoa fried rice
Enjoy as is or add some protein! Eggs, chicken, or shrimp stir fried in sweet chili sauce ROCK. I also especially love making my 15-Minute Honey Garlic Shrimp and serving it atop a bed of quinoa fried rice.
Easy Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice Recipe
This tasty vegetarian quinoa fried rice as a vegetarian serves two as a main dish or yields 4 healthy side dishes to serve alongside your favorite protein!
It’s SO ridiculously good and I’m absolutely kicking myself for not making the switch from rice to quinoa sooner.
Seriously, I may never go back. This veggie quinoa fried rice is super light and fluffy and had all the amazing flavor of fried rice but with more veggies and way less fat than what the restaurants are offering up.
So. Flipping. Tasty.
Let’s get our recipe on!
Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 cups fresh or frozen veggies: peas, carrots, onion + broccoli
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse a cup of quinoa in a mesh sieve/strainer, drain, and allow to dry on a few sheets of paper towels.
- Drying time will vary, I usually rinse, strain, and just walk away.
- Once dry, toss quinoa into a pot and allow it to toast on medium heat for just a minute or so, while stirring. You don’t quite want to brown it, just a light toasting.
- Next add 1.5 cups of water [or chicken/veggie broth!] to your quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Once the bubbles start flying, reduce to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 12 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside. If it’s still a little liquid-y let it simmer for another minute or so until it’s nice and fluffy.
- While you’re waiting for the quinoa to simmer to fluffy perfection, prep your veggies!
- I used frozen peas, fresh baby carrots, and fresh broccoli since it’s what I had on hand. Any combo of veggies, frozen or fresh will work!
- To get them all ready for frying, I blanched (boiled) chopped broccoli florets, diced carrots, and whole peas in about an inch of water in a small frying pan.
- Cook the veggies until tender and drain.
- Add a little oil or butter and garlic into the skillet with the veggies and stir frequently.
- By now the quinoa should be ready… toss it into the skillet with the veggies along with the soy sauce.
- If you're adding optional egg to your fried rice, crack one over the side of the skillet while it's still hot and fry it up into your yummy quinoa fried rice.
- Season to taste and pan fry for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce if you have it!
crazy for quinoa recipes?
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Chili Lime Dressing
- Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Quinoa Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- Quinoa Burrito Bowl via Hapa Nom
- NEW! Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Healthy Quinoa Salad
If you get a chance to try this yummy vegetarian quinoa fried rice, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation!