This flavorful quinoa fried rice with broccoli, peas, and carrots, is healthy and oh-so versatile. Your family will love this delicious gluten free dish!
After making this fluffy quinoa fried rice for lunch and then again for dinner, I’m certain its positively perfect.
It’s also healthy and oh-so versatile. On board? Yeah you are!
Fried rice is great but, what about fried quinoa?
Super Simple Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice
Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice
Yield 2 servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups of frozen or fresh veggies! (peas, carrots, onion + broccoli)
- garlic powder and S+P to taste
- Love eggs in your fried rice? Crack one over the skillet and toss a little extra protein into the mix!
- You'll also need a teeny bit of fat for frying. a splash of olive oil, a little scoop of coconut oil or even a tiny slice of butter - totally up to you! Also, a drizzle of sweet chili sauce may or may not rock on top of this. Just sayin'
- Rinse a cup of quinoa in a mesh sieve/strainer, drain, and allow to dry on a few sheets of paper towels.
- Drying time will vary, I usually rinse, strain, and just walk away.
- Once dry, toss quinoa into a pot and allow it to toast on medium heat for just a minute or so, while stirring. You don't quite want to brown it, just a light toasting.
- Next add 1.5 cups of water [or chicken/veggie broth!] to your quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Once the bubbles start flying, reduce to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 12 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside. If it's still a little liquid-y let it simmer for another minute or so until it's nice and fluffy.
- While you're waiting for the quinoa to simmer to fluffy perfection, prep your veggies!
- I used frozen peas, fresh baby carrots, and fresh broccoli since it's what I had on hand. Any combo of veggies, frozen or fresh will work!
- To get them all ready for frying, I blanched (boiled) chopped broccoli florets, diced carrots, and whole peas in about an inch of water in a small frying pan.
- Cook the veggies until tender and drain.
- Add your butter/oil and garlic into the skillet with the veggies and stir frequently.
- By now the quinoa should be ready... toss it into the skillet with the veggies along with your soy sauce.
- If you're adding egg, crack one over the side of the skillet while it's still hot and fry it up into your yummy quinoa fried rice.
- Season to taste and pan fry for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of soy sauce an sweet chili sauce if you have it!
Courses entree, side dish
Want more quinoa fried rice?