Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls are fresh, and flavorful! These easy chickpea taco bowls are loaded with zesty cilantro lime quinoa, taco roasted chickpeas, salsa, black beans, and avocado.
Pile them high with your favorite taco toppings and dive into this delicious vegetarian taco bowl!
Taco night will never get boring in this house.
The options are quite literally endless, and we rarely have the same exact combination of ingredients twice.
Unless I’m making shrimp tacos in which case, this exact formula has entered my face countless times!
I usually let the contents of my fridge and pantry decide which direction to go in.
For protein we usually cycle through the same few options: lentils or chickpeas for vegan/vegetarian, chicken or beef for t-rex, and shrimp or salmon for pescatarian.
Today I’m alllllll about the chickpeas!
Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
These tasty quinoa bowls are loaded with some of our favorite taco fixin’s. Todays creation features a mountain of goodies including…
- fresh tomato jalapeño salsa
- spicy taco roasted chickpeas
- cilantro lime quinoa
- black beans
- sour cream
Feel free to go crazy with the extras and empty your crisper drawer!
Other awesome topping options include shredded cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo, crushed tortilla chips, fresh corn, roasted sweet potatoes and/or sautéed pepper and onions. You can even skip the sour cream and go vegan, or simply sub in Greek yogurt for a lighter vegetarian option.
Let’s get our taco bowl on!
Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
- 15 oz chickpeas (I used 1 can)
- 1 TBSP avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika (smoked or regular)
- 2-3 cups cilantro lime quinoa (see below for recipe)
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 jalapeno
- 1-2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime halved
- 1 cup black beans (optional) drain and rinse if using canned
- 1 avocado (thinly sliced or diced)
CILANTRO LIME QUINOA
- sweet corn kernels
- chopped bell pepper
- fresh or leftover grilled/roasted/sautéed veggies
- tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grab a can of chickpeas. Rinse, drain, and pat dry. Lay spaced out on a baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil or olive oil and sea salt. Set timer for 20-25 minutes, toss em in the oven, and move on to prep the rest of your taco bowl. At the 20-25 minute mark, remove chickpeas from oven, toss with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Next make the cilantro lime quinoa. Rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer or sieve. Add to a medium saucepan with 1.5 cups water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for 13 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed. Add chopped cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- While the chickpeas roast and your quinoa simmers, chop all your tasty toppings for the taco bowls. I listed out some delicious extras that can be mixed, so be creative and have fun with it!
- For the tomato jalapeño salsa, combine chopped tomato (I love using ultra ripe cherry or grape tomatoes here) with jalapeño, cilantro, and juice of half a lime. Cut remaining half of lime into wedges to serve with the bowls.
- Ready to eat? Load up each bowl with cilantro lime quinoa and top with your roasted chickpeas, salsa, black beans, avocado, and all your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
hungry for more?
If you get a chance to try these quinoa chickpea taco bowls, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.