These fuss-free Sausage Veggie Rice Bowls make a quick and easy lunch or dinner!
BREAKING NEWS: I started drinking coffee again.
I’ve been off it for ages (health reasons, bah) but for the lately, I’ve been nursing a cup of haff-caff black coffee with my breakfast. Guys, it’s so glorious!
And a little bit terrifying.
I apologize in advance for any and all caffeine induced punctuation abuse (jazz hands!!!!!) and subsequent typos. I’m fairly certain I still should not be drinking a cup of brown juice every morning (hello jitters!) but guys, it’s essential with a 3 year old.
I’ve found a way to spill a little of nearly ever cup I’ve consumed on myself (and my laptop – eeeeek!) and have been so high on go-go juice that I’ve been placing 1st in my Orangetheory classes, a ranking bases solely on heart rate that I 110% feel like I cheated my way to. Even with a 60-40 ratio of decaf to regular I’m still operating like a chipmunk on speed. Anyone else? Just me? Please tell me it’s not just me!
So I’ve been thinking I may need to give it up again…
Okay probably not.
OH HAI RECIPE! That was gloriously off-track today! Let’s reel it in with some tasty eats, shall we?
Sausage Veggie Rice Bowls
The recipe below works with legit any sausage that floats your boat – from t-rex-tastic options to the underrated (and still delicious!) vegan sausage options on the market right now. Find your favorite and make these easy peasy bowls for lunch or dinner!
Sausage Veggie Rice Bowls
Yield 2 servings
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2-3 links of your favorite sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2-1 tsp oil for sautéing (olive, avocado, etc...)
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced or chopped
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup ginger dressing (loving this one lately)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley to garnish, optional
Cook rice per package instructions, approx. 20 minutes
While the rice cooks, chop your veggies and cook your sausage.
Heat a skillet with a little oil (spray or drizzle) and sauté sausage until crispy, browned, and cooked through.
- Assemble your bowls! Put rice on one side and your salad on the other. Top with a sprinkling of pepitas, a pinch of parsley (optional but tasty!) and your sausage. Drizzle dressing over the salad and dig in!
See post below for special diets and swap to make these easy peasy bowls vegan, vegetarian, or paleo!
Courses Main Dish
special diets and swaps
We don’t eat all of the same foods, and that’s okay! Here are a few swaps and such for easy peasy rice bowls. The mix-ins and add-ons are essentially endless – have fun with it!
- vegans chefs: crispy pan-fried tofu (seasoned any way you’d like) would be oh so glorious here. I love mine tossed with a little ginger, green onion, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce. You could also make it with these insanely addictive roasted shawarma chickpeas too *or* try it with your go-to vegan sausage if you have a favorite!
- on the seafood front: try swapping the sausage for sautéed or grilled shrimp!
- t-rex + gluten-free chefs: you’re good to go here! Make as directed or empty your cripser by adding extra veggies to the mix!
- no rice? no problem! Try it with cauliflower rice to make it paleo or whole30 compliant!
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Stuffed Mushroom Casserole
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup (Instant-Pot + Slow Cooker)
- Crispy Roasted Shawarma Chickpeas
If you get a chance to try these sausage veggie rice bowls, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!