Cranberry Walnut Sandwich Spread

Cranberry Croissant Sandwich and Spread
I’ve been missing Pensacola, Florida this week.  Especially now that its summertime!  I miss the pool parties, the food, the powder white sand on the gulf coast beaches, the food, volleyball at the bar, the food, and all the friends I made in the sunshine state panhandle.  I don’t miss Four Loko.  That’s one thing that can stay in Pensacola!  But that’s a story for another day and a different blog…  Did I mention I miss the food? =)
Blackwater Bistro is military owned and operated and the go-to place for dinner on the weekends. They serve a fun spin on southern comfort foods and my favorite sandwich in-the-world! It’s a buttery, flaky croissant topped with smoked turkey, crisp romaine, and the most amazing spread.  I was convinced it was a combo of cream cheese, cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon so, naturally, I had to re-create it at home to see if I was right.  Jackpot! <3
Cranberry Croissant Sandwich and Spread
Cranberry-Walnut Sandwich Spread
[Two Ways!]
spread #1
ingredients:
2 tablespoons of cream cheese or creamy goat cheese
2-4 TBSP crushed walnuts, unsalted
1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup of Craisins or lightly sweetened dried cranberries, plus extra, to taste
spread #2
ingredients:
4 ounces regular or neufchatel cream cheese
4 TBSP leftover cranberry sauce [try this one]
2-3 TBSP chopped baking walnuts
1 TBSP honey [use a little… or a lot!]
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Brontosaurus Chefs Veganize by using vegan-friendly “cream cheese” spread.
T-Rex Chefs  The original had deli-sliced turkey – Feel free to layer it on!
Get Your Sandwich On!
Spread #1: Add your dried cranberries to hot water and soak for several minutes until softened.  Pat dry and add to cream cheese along with crushed walnuts and cinnamon.  Spread onto croissant and top with lots of crisp of romaine and refreshing cucumber to make the king of all tea sandwiches!
Spread #2: Soften cream cheese to room temperature, then combine with a few heaping spoonfuls of leftover cranberry sauce.   Next fold in chopped walnuts [optional, but beyond delicious!] and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.  Drizzle a tablespoon of honey into the mixture and stir.
Rather not wait for the cream cheese to soften?  Break out your food processor and whip the cream cheese, walnuts, cinnamon and honey to perfection before adding your sauce.  Just be sure to unplug the food processor before trying to lick it clean.
Or grab some turkey and have at it!
Turkey Croissant Sandiwch with Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread and Crisp Veggies
T-Rex Chef Sandwich
So… How was it?
Just like the original… only with more veggies and at a fraction of the price!  I have a feeling this will be my summer lunch again and again!  This spread is un. real.
Dear sandwich, I love you. Marry me?

Comments

Cranberries + cream cheese + walnuts + cinnamon?! Jenn, you’re seriously a combination queen. I love this idea! I’m going to try spearing it on turkey slices and rolling it up! (Why don’t they make GF croissants?! grrr) :-)

This looks delicious! I want to make it now. I pinned it to my yummy board. haha Thanks for sharing.. you can come cook for me any time.. I’m a great guinea pig!!!

girl, you had me at “croissant”. I was just talking about croissant sandwiches yesterday, and you made all my dreams come true! Now I don’t have to be sad about never going to Blackwater Bistro while I was in Pensacola (which was about a day).

Holy smokes—this looks amazing! I’ve never made my take on any favorites b/c I’m always too afraid it won’t be anywhere near as good as the original! And whats up with me growing up in FL but never going to Pensacola? I want to see these white sand beaches you speak of!

Sounds like a great spread and a great sandwich! I’m a sucker for anything with cranberries in it and I firmly believe that nearly any dish can be enhanced by the addition of a little cinnamon! Thanks for sharing your recipe for this spread – can’t wait to try it out soon!

This is the first thing you’ve ever posted that made me go “eww.” Sorry lady…I can’t stand cranberry walnut anything! But I’m glad it makes you happy.
    Good news is, since you want to marry it, I won’t be stealing your sandwich spouse.
    My favorite sandwich of all time is a real Italian hoagie but it has to be made in New Jersey.

Oh wow. This combination sounds absolutely to die for. Love, love, LOVE the idea of craisins with cream cheese, and on a croissant? Swooooon. I haven’t eaten one in forever (kinda forgot about them) but I need to change that FAST because I absolutely adore them… and you, for being such a genius <3

Mmm! This looks fantastic! Oh it’s been TOO long since I’ve had a warm fluffy croissant!

And um, I think you know what MY favorite sandwich is…I wonder if I’ll ever get tired of PB&J with BBQ tofu?? Naaaaah! ;)

wait wait wait. Are you referencing four loko like, the drink?? How could you not like that??! hehe, just kidding. I LOVE cranberries!!! Yum.

Favorite sandwich… probably this amazing veggie burger from this cafe in Columbus, OH. SO GOOD!

wow wow wow! it looks so freaking delicious!

my favorite sandwich is a “burger” from a place right near my office! it’s a balsamic marinated portobello mushroom cap that’s grilled. the sandwich has pesto, goat cheese, and roasted red peppers. it’s so delicious!

Mmm, that looks great. Trader Joe’s sells a packaged Gorgonzola and cranberry spread/dip thing that I’m always tempted to buy, but never do!

Ahhh… Four Loko!! SO gross. My friend bought me one on my 21st birthday and I couldn’t even finish it!

This sandwich is really similar to one that was sold at the cafe I used to work at. I am such a sucker for dried cranberries, so I totally have to make this!

Cream cheese can totally make anything 100% better…I am so with you on that! I love just cream cheese and cucumbers, English style. This looks even better Jenn!

Are there really people who can make their own croissants??

This reminds me of one of my favorite sandwiches that I get at a local place here. It’s a chicken cranberry sandwich and it has cream cheese and cranberry sauce and all sorts of amazingness in it. I’m definately going to have to make this spread!!

Oooooh this looks soooo amazingly good! A) it is on a croisant, b) sweet and salty, need I say more? c) turkey and cranberries are like 2 of my favorite things. Ahhh, bookmarking this for SURE!

Hehe thanks Dionne! <3 The croissant and spread/sammie combo is just heavenly! I used to go to the restaurant that inspired my dish weekly just to have it… until I finally decided to save some $$$ and start making it at home! So good! <3 Hope you have a fantabulous weekend dear!

21. Anonymous says

Does this just make one sandwich. I wanted to make 8 for a luncheon. Not sue the amount of ingredients to buy.

• says

So excited you’ll be making it for your luncheon! =) Thanks! Depending on the size of your bread/sandwich, the recipe for spread #2 [using 4 ounces of cream cheese as the base] should make 2-3 sandwiches. It keeps marvelously in the fridge for 4 days or so [and can be frozen!] so I would quadruple the recipe just in case and then you can use any leftovers [if any] as a cracker spread or for guests to spread on celery/cucumbers/etc!