Mini Quiche Cups + Shortcut Tomato Tarts

aka The Breakfast Post!
favorite breakfast foods
Last year I ate my weight in oats. We had some good times together, oatmeal and I, but after going hot and heavy for too too long, we’ve decided to take a little break.  This has opened me up to so many new breakfast combinations!  Here are a few of my favorites:
Mini Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Sandwiches w/ Spinach, Egg + Swiss
PB Bananas w/ Love Grown Granola
Fruit + Veg Smoothies [recipe]
Yogurt + Granola
Egg + Veggie Scrambles
Veggie-riffic Quiche [recipe]
Mini Breakfast Burritos w/ Salsa
Faux French Toast [recipe]
Fresh Fruit + Coffee [always coffee! always black!]
Hashbrown English Muffin Egg Sandwiches w/ Jalapeno Ranch [recipe]
Toasted Ezekiel C&R English Muffins spread w/ warm melty PB
Pannini-pressed breakfast wraps [recipe]
Veggie Omelettes
I’m a big fan of speedy breakfasts with little to no clean up.  Well, technically any meal with minimal clean-up is fan-flipping-tastic but somehow I always get in over my head with dinner + recipe testing shenanigans.  This week I plan on using and abusing my food processor, so while I dream of a sparkling + dish-less sink, here are a few speedy breakfasts to serve your friends and family at brunch or simply shake up the first meal of your day!
First up is a tasty brunch item that can play double -duty as an appetizer or a side dish.
easy tomato tarts
Ina Garten has a gorgeous puff pastry tart that I have been dreaming about for days now.  I didn’t have the time, ingredients or patience to pull it off but Sunday morning I flung myself out of bed to make this tart with what I already had on hand!  There’s really no recipe needed for this baby =) I had a mini tube of flaky I-can’t-believe-I-bought-these Pillsbury biscuits and a perfectly ripe farmer’s market tomato that was begging to be used.  I sliced the biscuits in half, topped each with a slice of tomato, a sprinkle of salt, and a ‘lil crumble of feta cheese.  A speedy 10 minute bake in my toaster oven and these tomato-y tarts were ready to be devoured.  They didn’t last long on the plate =)  Does anyone know a natural but equally easy alternative to pre-made biscuits?  Hook a girl up if you have a tip!
Next up – My wonton obsession continues =)
Mini Quiche Cups
[Easily serves 1... but making more is oh-so easy!]
What’s in it?
1 Tbsp Coconut Milk [or milk of choice!]
5 Nasoya Wonton Wrappers
Spinach, Feta + Garlic [or garlic powder]
S+P to taste
1 Egg
mini muffin tin wonton quiche
I whipped up a few mini egg “muffins” too… not as fun without the wonton CRUNCH!  The glory of quiches is that any cheese, any veggie, and any dairy will work!  Helloooo easy way to use up leftovers! <3
Get Cooking!
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375F.  Gently place wonton squares in a mini-muffin tray + spray with olive oil.  Crack an egg into a coffee mug and beat with a fork.  Add coconut milk or equivalent.  Depending on your preference, you can toss the spinach into your beaten egg + milk mixture raw or sautee it in a small skillet with some olive oil and garlic until wilted (this is such a quick + easy method that I always take the extra step!).  Toss a lil bit of spinach (tomato or jalapeno would rock too), garlic and feta into the bottom of each cup and top with egg mixture.  Bake for approx 8-10 minutes or until quiche mixtures fluffs up into a “muffin-top” and the edges of your won-ton cups are toasty + golden brown.
What’s your absolute favorite breakfast?

Comments

i used to work above a cafe that made quiche and tomatoe tart and they were my favorite for lunch! so yummy and not horrible for you!

The quiche cups look amazing! I love quiche! Breakfast foods are my favoriteeeee! I love lots of the breakfast combos you mentioned! Especially bagels. I try to steer clear though because they are too darn good.

Great post, Jenn! I love it and you! xoxo <3

oh MAN, you’ve got so many great brekkie eats; forget the oats, I know what I’m having tomorrow!! and those wonton quiches look GORGEOUS!!! seriously, so so so so good! I need to get more coconut milk and I’m TOTALLY making them! thanks girlie! :)

YAY for yogurt and granola!!!
    I hate breakfasts that require cleaning up afterwards. I won’t do it. I can barely function when I get up as it is. I can’t handle cleaning on top of it. That’s why I stick with no muss, no fuss Eggo waffles and hot chocolate.
    Totally lame but totally awesome and easy.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Ee! Those look fantastical! And I’m always on the lookout for recipes for one, so I’m definitely going to try this out :D Although I can’t promise you that it’ll be for breakfast, because I’m still stuck on my oats. Gotta have my oats first thing in the morning, but I’m a big fan of breakfast for lunch/dinner so it shouldn’t be a problem.

i’m making your shrimp wontons tomorrow night (but i’m using imitation crab meat instead of shrimp). omg. i can’t express how excited i am for them!!!

Those mini quiche cups look amazing! I would jump out of bed any day for one of those! I think my all time favorite breakfast combo is a fruit and yogurt parfait topped with sweet, crunchy granola – yum!

Those are adorable! I ate oats almost every single day and then I had to take a break from them, too. I still eat a bowl a couple of times a week, though. :) I love almond butter & bananas for a super quick breakfast before a workout.

I love the raisin bagel/egg combo…something about the sweet and savory!

Your mini quiche cups look delish too. I have never thought to use wanton wrappers as quiche crust. Brilliant :)

I am saddened to hear of the rift- are you and oat bran seeing each other on occasion? We’re pretty hot and heavy…

Ooh Pillsbury, how I adore you and your buttery, flaky goodness. Why do you have to be so gosh darn impossible to resist? And topped with tomato and feta?! YUM.

I know there’s a company that makes natural, non-hydrogenated oil biscuits and mock crescent rolls…Their products are sold at Whole Foods, and make a wonderful substitute!

Mini quiche cups sound like a fab way to start the day!

lol i-cant-believe-i-bought-these. i had an i-cant-believe-i-ate-this-so-close-to-beach-wkend piece of pound cake and half of a kombucha for breakfast this morning.

that’s healthy right? i never have thought to eat my egg sandwiches on a cinn raisin bagel!

and same from Sara at NF, whole foods does carry some in the dairy refrigerated section… along with scones in the same type of packaging!!

I love all these savory breakfast options! I used to make muffins every week but my breakfast sweet tooth has been replaced (temporarily at least) by a savory one–all of these options will hit the spot :)

P.S. Is there anything better than a garden fresh tomato? I think not!

I was just telling my mama about your cookie dough wontons and how she NEEDS to make them for her upcoming party. ;) I can’t wait to grab some wonton wrappers and try the baby quiches!

and high-give for the cinnamon raisin sandwich. that’s my go-to these days!

Whhhatttt? I would never have guessed those were Pillsbury biscuits! I usually cut corners with puff pastry and get a great brand at WholeFoods. It’s pricey, but loads easier and absolutely delicious. So happy I just discovered your blog!

I am on a crazy oats kick too, and seriously need to switch it up with some of these recipes! I love the mini bagel sandwiches and these quiche :) Individual servings are suoer cute to me!

This is such an adorable use for wonton wrappers! These mini quiches look fantastic and I bet they’d be great to serve at a brunch!

First off- love all of the breakfast ideas! The yogurt/granola combo is one of my favs. I love wontons too! They have so many uses. The quiche cup look drool WORTHY!

The mini-quiche cups look fabulous…so perfect for a dinner party! I love your love for wonton wrappers…such a brilliant idea to use them because they make everything so classy!

Have you tried Trader Joe’s biscuits? They come in a can similar to Pillsbury but have about half the ingredients…

YUM!!! I am loving the mini quiche cups! I get tired of certain foods after awhile, too. Especially when I eat them every single day!

Oh my goodness, all of your breakfasts look amazing! I am still on an oatmeal kick now, but I will have to steal some of these ideas so I don’t get tired of it:). I love mini quiches! I make mine with biscuit dough in the bottom…soooo good! (But not incredibly good for ya, haha;)

“Typical P&C recipe testing protocol then requires you to shovel the quiches into your face at super-fast lightening speed the second you realize that these are not only edible… but absolutely delicious!” Hahahaha! You crack me up woman! I LOVE that there is a little “surprise” at the bottom of each wonton cup! It’s like, “oh, yum, yum, yum…woah! YUM!!” ;)

Ohh, I would love to know an alternative for pre-made biscuits…wait, no I don’t, I’ll just eat my weight in them! Ugh!

and high-give for the cinnamon raisin sandwich. that’s my go-to these days!

I love the raisin bagel/egg combo…something about the sweet and savory!

Trackbacks