Crispy Baked Shrimp Won-tons
Crispy Baked Shrimp Wontons
Yield 14 won-tons
- 1-2 tbsp feta
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried/fresh chives or green onions
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes [I used 1/2 tbsp to give it a kick!]
- 8 large raw shrimp, thawed, peeled + prepped
- 14 wonton wrappers
- olive oil cooking spray, or olive oil + a pastry brush
- salt and pepper, to taste
- serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sautee shrimp and garlic in either 1 tsp of olive oil or 1 thin pad of butter; totally up to you!
- Once shrimp are fully cooked, add cheeses, chives, red pepper flakes, garlic powder + salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir until cheese is melted. Move mixture to a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
- To prep the wonton wrappers, lay flat and moisten fingers with water. It helps to have a little cup of water handy while assembling the wontons. Run your finger along two sides of the wrapper to moisten, and add a small dollop of the shrimp mixture to the center of the wonton.
- Fold into a triangle and press, the thin layer of water should act like a glue and help you press the edges into little pouches.
- Seal em up and pop them on a wire grilling rack, cooling rack, or whatever else they call the sheet in the photos below.
- Spritz or brush each won-ton lightly with olive oil.
- Bake at 375F for 11-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Courses appetizer, snack
The next step i’ve tried every which way, and the best results are with an olive oil cooking spray. Brushing the wontons with butter or olive oil will work, but the crispiest, most evenly golden results were achieved with a super light spritz of the spray. Luckily there are natural ones available, just read your labels to make sure you’re getting the “good stuff!” =)
Bake at 375F for 11-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe testing is so much fun for this reason. I think I made these 3 days straight to get my measurements in check and they rocked each time! They tasted just like the fried crab rangoons restaurants serve but without all the grease! Healthified and shrimpified. Yay!
Want them SUPER crispy? No need to fry! After baking for approx 10-12 minutes, switch the oven to broil for a minute or so (keep an eye on em!) you’ll get extra cah-runchy wontons!
No need for chips when you’re serving these up at the party! Since wonton wrappers come in 12oz packages, you’ll have enough to double (possibly triple) this recipe or to experiment with! You can pretty much fill these with any combination of ingredients. Leftover mashed sweet potatoes, sharp cheddar & green onions make a great combo!