We love these Speedy Spanakopita Wonton Cups! Baking tasty spinach and feta filling into crispy won-tons makes this beloved party appetizer speedy and delicious!
Ahhhh spinach… I love it so!
Lately my spinach cravings have been in the form of creamy, flaky Spanakopita.
It’s readily available in most grocery store freezer aisles, but have you ever read the nutrition label for those babies? Gah! The sheer amount of filler and preservatives makes me cringe; not to mention the mile-long ingredient list that just screams franken-food. There’s absolutely no need for that stuff to be in our food or our bodies. Eff that. Let’s make our own!
Since I didn’t have any phyllo dough handy (and also wasn’t really keen on buttering and slicing layer after layer of phyllo) I snagged the refrigerated package of wonton wrappers that I always have on hand for quick appetizers.
The results was a deliciously fast and flavorful appetizer that I couldn’t sop stuffing in my face. YES PLEASE!
From prep to plate these only take about 15 minutes.
Seriously! They couldn’t be easier!
Speedy Spanakopita Wonton Cups
This speedy recipe makes approx. 24 bite-sized wonton cups – perfect for a party or a stellar snack sesh!
Spanakopita Wonton Cups
- 24 won-ton wrappers
- 9 oz frozen spinach (drained + defrosted)
- 1/2-1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder plus extra to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Have I mentioned yet that these are quick and easy? Our favorite! The only pre-prep you’ll have to do is defrost your spinach. You can plan this in advance by defrosting overnight in the fridge, leaving out on your counter for a few hours, or simply heating up the spinach on the stovetop/microwave.
- Once your spinach is ready, grab your won-tons and preheat your oven to 365F.
- Gently place won-ton squares in a mini-muffin tray spritzed with olive oil. For extra crunch you can also lightly spray the won-ton wrappers themselves with a little olive oil.
- Squeeze out the excess water from your spinach and combine the gorgeous green veggie with ricotta, feta, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- If you’re like me, you like to taste everything and season as you go… so feel free to either make one “trial-run” won-ton cup in the oven for tasting purposes or heat the spinach and cheese mixture up in the oven/microwave so you can taste the filling. I made two won-tons to taste test [one for me, one for my partner in crime] and decided I loved it as is. Feel free to add extra salt/pepper/garlic/feta if you’d like!
- Once you’re ready to go – spoon the spinach mixture into your won-ton cups and bake for approx 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of your won-ton cups are toasty + golden brown.
Love dunking your spanakopita in fresh, zesty tzatziki sauce? Grab my Tzatziki Recipe Here and get your dip on!
so… how were they?!
These baller bites were ketch-free fabulousness! I love that they still had all the flavor and texture that I’ve come to expect from spanakopita but in literally half the time.
The fact that I keep all these ingredients on hand in my fridge/freezer on a weekly basis means I have an uber easy snack or appetizer for any occasion.
Hungry for more? Wonton it up with these other foodie favorites!
- NEW! Wonton Pizza Cups
- Crispy Baked Shrimp Wontons
- Breakfast Wonton Egg Cups
- Vegetarian Wonton Taco Cups
If you get a chance to try these Speedy Spanakopita Wonton Cups, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!