Vegetarian Wonton Taco Cups are so easy to make and can be loaded up with all your favorite taco toppings! We love ours with refried beans, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeños, and guacamole.
I’ve totally been holding out on y’all.
These tasty little taco cups have been rocking our faces and, in true #foodbloggerfail fashion, I keep forgetting to photograph them to share on the blog.
Today is totally cause for celebration though because I’m here to deliver!
While the recipe makes enough to share, you’re going to want to face-plant into the entire tray all by yourself so double or triple the recipe accordingly.
They’re great warm but this is also one of those magical recipes that tastes amazing even after they’ve cooled. They’re basically a bite-sized hand-held version of 7 layer dip. Customize them with your favorite toppings or set up a topping bar let everyone add their own! You could even arrange all the toppings and sauces in mini muffin tins for easy clean-up.
I’ll include a full list of possible wonton taco cup toppings for you in the recipe card below. Feel free to keep things simple by adding just a few favorite essentials or go nuts by adding anything and everything your heart desires!
My dream combo includes a base of warm vegetarian-style refried beans topped with spicy salsa, cheddar cheese, peppers, cilantro, and a dollop of light sour cream and guacamole. YES PLEASE!
Vegetarian Wonton Taco Cups
These tasty little taco cups make a home-run snack! Break them out as a fun appetizer for your next party or serve them up on Taco Tuesday for a fun family taco night with a twist.
Vegetarian Wonton Taco Cups
Yield 20 servings
Recipe yields 20 taco cups. I like to double up my won-ton wrappers for extra crunch and because they hold more toppings that way, so you'll need 40 won-ton wrapper squares for this recipe.
Need a smaller batch? This recipe is crazy easy to size down! Make a little... or a lot!
- 40 wonton wrappers (2 for each crispy wonton cup)
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 6 sweet mini peppers
- 2 jalapeños
- 2-3 stalks green onion
- 1/3-1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream or greek yogurt, to taste
- fresh cilantro, to taste
TASTY TOPPINGS TO TRY - choose your favorites!
- Pre-heat oven to 365 degrees F.
- Gently place won-ton squares in a standard nonstick muffin tray spritzed with spray oil. For extra crunch you can also lightly spray the won-ton wrappers themselves with a little oil.
- Place tray on the center rack and bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp with golden edges.
- While the wontons bake, chop and prep your veggies. Remove the seeds/stem from the peppers and finely chop. Slice your green onion and grate your cheese. Warm up your refried beans (microwave or stovetop) and grab remaining toppings. I like to set out my toppings in little bowls or on a tray for easy assembly. You can even serve toppings in a muffin tin with spoons and allow friends and family to assemble and customize their own cups!
- Once the wonton cups are ready, add a spoonful or two of warm refried beans into each cup and top with fresh or jarred salsa. Next pile on the toppings and serve. They're great warm and also fabulous once cooled to room temperature so set them out and ENJOY!
I've listed measurements above to get you started, but you can totally go crazy here and play mad scientist in the kitchen with your dream combo of ingredients. I went with vegetarian ingredients but shredded chicken, ground beef, turkey or chorizo work here too. You can also make them vegan!
Courses Appetizer, Main Dish
Cuisine Mexican Fusion
special diets and swaps
While the recipe above is meatless, you can absolutely customize these wonton taco cups by adding your favorite protein to the mix. Start with a layer of refried beans as the base, then add taco-seasoned ground beef or turkey, or even shredded salsa chicken. Anything goes!
can I make these vegan?
Won-ton wrappers contain eggs, and therefore are not vegan. In their place, feel free to use corn or flour tortillas for these tasty taco cups. Grab small corn tortillas and mold them into the muffin tin cups to make little bowls or grab a big flour tortilla, cut into squares, then mold into the cups just like you would wontons. Easy peasy!
I also have a pretty baller recipe for Bell Pepper Taco Cups that are always a hit and a great vegan, paleo, keto, and low-carb option. They’re crazy tasty!
If you get a chance to try these vegetarian wonton taco cups, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
hungry for more?
- Instant Pot Black Bean Dip
- Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw