This lightened up hot spinach artichoke dip is going to rock your world! Dive in with a few pita chips and a pile of crunchy veggies and be prepared to hover over the bowl until it’s gone!
Around here we make a LOT of spinach dip.
Come be my neighbor, I share!
It’s one of those dishes that I insist on making differently nearly every single time I make it. Sometimes I’ll add mushrooms, other times I toss it in a cast iron skillet with some shrimp, sometimes I even serve it chilled.
This one was intendedto be frozen for when we have house guests to feed.
A quick taste test turned into a impromptu photo shoot, which turned into a little extra sampling on my part, which then turned into an all out feeding frenzy with P and I attacking the bowl you see pictured and barely getting the rest of the dip into the freezer.
To say I might be making it this exact way the next two or three dozen times I make spinach dip would be pretty darn likely!
Now usually when you’re having a face-off with a bowl of spin-art dip, you can expect to be ingesting the usual suspects: cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, or heavy cream.
In some instances you might be getting all four in one single recipe. Yowza!
Most also have a higher dairy-to-spinach ratio, making them a lot less healthy than it’s veggified name suggests.
Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
Luckily we love our veggies here, and this particular recipe has a veggie-to-dairy ratio that’s fun and flavorful, without all the excess fat of a traditional dip.
Healthy Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 18 oz frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
- 8 oz frozen creamed spinach (grab an all-natural one from the freezer or make your own!)
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Italian-blend cheeses or grated parmesan
- 2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 tsp dried minced onion or onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- any additional salt pepper, and/or garlic your heart desires
TASTY TOPPINGS + EXTRAS – choose your favorites
- chopped tomato
- diced red onion
- chopped green onion
- crumbled feta or extra grated parmesan cheese
- First defrost your spinach. You can use boiling water, the microwave, or leave it overnight in the fridge to thaw. For the frozen chopped spinach, you’ll want to squeeze it dry with a handful of paper towels to remove the water from the spinach. For the creamed spinach, simply defrost or heat until bubbly.
- Chop your veggies, mince your garlic, and grate/measure your cheeses. Mix it all together and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
- You can add the red onion and tomato topping before baking for a hot topping or add afterwards for a refreshing crunch (I keep mine raw!) It makes a gorgeous garnish plus adds texture and added antioxidants. Um.. heck yes!
- All that’s left to do is grab some crunchy tortilla chips and a plate full of veggies and dig in!
- This dip can be made ahead and will keep in the fridge for 4 days or in the freezer for several months. Reheat in the oven, toaster oven, or microwave and you’re good to go! <3
If you get a chance to try this tasty Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip, let me know!
You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS #PEASANDCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
so . . . how was it?
Veggie-tastic. That’s a word. Google it.
Oh fine… it isn’t a real word. But it is delicious! I highly suggest piling leftovers into an omelette the next morning.
You’ll thank me later.