panko pesto mozzarella balls
Panko Pesto Mozzarella Balls
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, balled/cubed
- 1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp or so of Italian seasoning blend
- 1-2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- approx 4oz Buitoni pesto
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of flour
- olive oil cooking spray
tools needed: Aluminum foil lined baking sheet/pan + wire baking/grilling/cooling rack
- Cube and freeze your mozzarella 12-24 hours ahead of time.
- To freeze, lay cubes flat on a plate for 15-20 minutes and then move to a plastic baggie or covered bowl to freeze even further. This prevents sticking and also is a fabulous method for freezing fruit and veggies!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Keep mozzarella cubes frozen until you have set up your ingredients into dipping bowls and preheated the oven.
- Combine seasoning blend and panko in a shallow bowl.
- Keep egg whites, flour, and pesto in separate bowls for dipping.
- Dipping order: Flour - Pesto - Egg Whites - Panko
- Move quickly so your balls don't begin to defrost, lol!
- After each ball gets it's turn in each bowl, place your completed mozzarella balls on your wire rack (the one you put on top of a aluminum foil lined cookie pan) after spraying/greasing the rack with olive oil.
- Once all your balls are in place (this is technical terminology people!) spray them with a light coat of your cooking spray and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and soft and stretchy on the inside. Enjoy immediately.