Grab a package of phyllo cups and make these bite-sized Cranberry Tarts for the holidays! This easy dessert features a flavorful make-ahead cranberry orange curd topped with a swirl of whipped cream.
Are you freaking out? I’m freaking out!
This is hands-down my new favorite dessert on the PLANET!
The cranberry curd has the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness, much like a little bite-sized key lime pie with a festive holiday twist!
You can whip up the cranberry orange curd filling a day or two in advance, making it a great prep-ahead option for parties and family gatherings.
While they’re essentially a bite-sized pie, these tasty tarts use light and crispy phyllo dough for their base. Sure it’s a shortcut but the result is so unbelievably delicious that you won’t be able to imagine this amazingness any other way!
I’ve been testing these mini cranberry tarts for a few weeks now, in preparation for the holiday craziness that’s about to descend upon us.
As a result, I’ve had dozens upon dozens of tarts floating around my kitchen at any given moment.
My friends were happy to step up as my taste-testers and the recipe I’m sharing with you today had us all gleefully stuffing our faces until every tasty tart had vanished.
I cannot wait for you to try them!
These bite-sized beauties are perfect for Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, Christmas, and New Years… and, if you’re me, they’re also a fantastic sweet treat to eat with your friends while sitting in the driveway as the kiddos plaster the sidewalks with chalk.
Mini Cranberry Tarts – a fun and festive phyllo cup dessert!
This recipe yields enough cranberry curd to make 30 bite-sized phyllo cup desserts.
You’ll want to snag two packages of Athens’ phyllo shells (usually found in the freezer aisle by the frozen pie crusts and desserts) which have about 15 cups per package.
Since we use the phyllo cups to make mini quiche for brunch, jalapeño popper appetizers, and the most amazing little baklava bites, I have a package or three in my freezer at all times.
Serving a large crowd? Feel free to double or triple the recipe as needed. I typically make my curd a day in advance and then fill and bake the phyllo cups (to set the curd) an hour or two before serving.
Mini Cranberry Tarts
- 6 oz fresh cranberries (170 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 medium orange (navel oranges work great)
- 2 oz softened butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large egg plus 1 additional egg yolk
- 30 store-bought phyllo shells
- whipped cream for topping, as needed
- Zest half your orange (orange part only) and juice it to yield about 3-4 TBSP of juice.
- Add cranberries, sugar and orange juice and orange zest to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer until cranberries have popped and softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender, food processor, or blender to puree the cranberry mixture.
- Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and press pureed sauce through the sieve with a flexible rubber spatula into a large bowl. The liquid likes to stick to the bottom side of the sieve so scraping that liquid off with a spoon a few times will help get all that gorgeous magenta puree into the bowl. It’s a bit messy but worth it!
- Whisk the butter into the warm liquid.
- Add one egg and an additional egg yolk to a medium bowl and beat lightly. Slowly whisk a few tablespoons of warm cranberry puree into the eggs one at a time to temper, then combine both and whisk together.
- Return the cranberry-egg mixture to the pot and cook over low heat until nearly bubbling and thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- If using immediately, let cool to room temperature. For advance prep, cool to room temperature, cover tightly with plastic wrap (press it right up against the curd) and refrigerate.
- To make your tarts, preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon room temperature or slightly warm cranberry curd into phyllo cups and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes to set the filling and allow to cool completely before topping with whipped cream. Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try these mini cranberry tarts, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Looking for more phyllo cup recipes? Check out my round-up of sweet and sharable Phyllo Cup Dessert Recipes.
These mini cranberry tarts are so yummy! Such a cute little dessert for any occasion!
So glad you enjoyed them Katie! xoxo
Unbelievably easy to make and absolutely delicious! Perfect for serving AND snacking! <3! #allthingscranberry
Seriously, the perfect dessert. The perfect amount of sweet and tart and just the right size. Also, they are so pretty! Great for holiday parties coming up!
Thanks for being my taste tester, Jenna! So glad y’all loved them!
These tarts are so pretty and even tastier! They are the perfect blend between sweet and tart. They make the perfect little treat for any party!
So glad you enjoyed the tarts Julia! I legit can’t stop making them!! <3