Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos topped with jalapeños and a cool ranch slaw. These tasty seafood soft tacos are ready in 18 minutes!
You guys!!! I’m about to rock your world with this sassy shrimp taco recipe.
But first, a letter to myself…
I know you like to live life on the edge, but please for the love of all things veggie do not, I repeat, DO NOT stick your fingers in your eye after chopping jalapeño peppers.
I understand a rogue eyelash may have shifted position, prompting you to use your freshly peppered digits to put it back in line… Or maybe your eye is really itchy and must be rubbed immediately, jalapeño fingers and all…
This is a trap.
You will cry.
Stop that **** immediately, yo.
Hugs and kisses,
Your fiery eyeballed friend.
Let’s get our taco on!
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos
You only need some spices, a few tasty whole food ingredients, and 18 minutes to make these scrumptious seafood soft tacos. WOOT!
I kept the ingredient list simple, but feel free to get as “extra” as you’d like with toppings.
tasty taco toppings
My Quick Fridge Pickled Vegetables are a great topping option or you could go the salsa route and top these spicy chili lime shrimp tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa or Mango Jalapeño Salsa. Chopped avocado or guacamole is always a tasty addition too!
You could even set up a shrimp taco bar for your family/friends and set out an array of toppings for everyone to customize their own taco!
I paired my tacos with spicy chopped jalapeños and a cool ranch slaw made with cabbage, lettuce, and cilantro. Simple and delicious!
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos topped with jalapeños and a cool ranch slaw. These tasty seafood soft tacos are ready in 18 minutes! Recipe yields 6-8 tacos.
- 1 pound fresh shrimp or frozen/thawed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or favorite healthy oil
- 1 lime
- 1 cup finely shredded/chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded lettuce and/or shredded green cabbage
- 2-4 TBSP homemade or store-bought ranch dressing*
- 1 jalapeño pepper (diced or sliced thin)
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- fresh chopped cilantro to taste
- lime wedges to add a burst of citrus flavor
- Clean and peel shrimp, defrosting if needed. Lately we've been buying frozen, deveined, easy-peel shrimp. All I have to do is defrost, peel, and cook! You can also buy your shrimp already peeled if you'd like!
- Set prepped shrimp in the fridge, covered while you make your slaw and sauce.
- For the Sriracha Ranch, simply whisk together both ingredients. For a spicier sauce, add extra Sriracha to taste.
- Pat shrimp dry and season with paprika, cayenne, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat both sides.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 1 TBSP of oil and sauté your shrimp. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Place your shrimp on a clean cutting board and chop into smaller pieces, much like you were coarsely chopping an onion. This extra step helps prevent the shrimp from dive-bombing out of your taco and onto your plate/lap/floor and makes them way easier to eat!
Warm corn tortillas in a large skillet. You can use a nonstick skillet to keep things oil-free or heat a little oil in a stainless steel skillet and lightly pan-fry your tortillas until the edges are crispy.
To make the slaw, combine shredded lettuce, cabbage, jalapeño, and cilantro in a small bowl and top with a quality all-natural ranch dressisng. (store-bought or homemade both work here!) Mix until lightly coated.
Line your warmed corn tortillas with shrimp and top with a hearty scoop of slaw. Add any extras your heart desires and dig in!
When it comes to cilantro, use as much or as little as you'd like! Not a fan of cilantro? No problem! Skip the cilantro entirely and jazz up the flavor of your slaw using thinly sliced red onion instead.
To control the spice/heat of these tacos, adjust the amount of fresh jalapeño and cayenne pepper. Add more of less based on preference. For extra spicy tacos feel free to add a little hot sauce too!
Nutrition facts below are estimated with an online nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed. This recipe yields 6-8 tacos and will vary based on shrimp size and how much each taco is stuffed. Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try these chili lime shrimp tacos, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
live every night like it’s taco night!
Love guacamole? Whip up a batch of DIY Guacamole Seasoning and guac it up!
Pair your shrimp tacos with a side of Mexican Kale Salad (the cilantro lime dressing is legendary) or a big bowl of Chipotle Corn Salsa and chips. Sarcastic Cooking’s Skinny Low Carb Margaritas look amazing too!
Have a ton of jalapeños on hand? Make a jar of Fridge Pickled Jalapeño Peppers!