This is hands-down the best Shrimp Taco Salad of my life featuring juicy seasoned shrimp, fresh salsa, and a bevy of veggies on a bed of crisp romaine topped with crispy crushed tortilla chips.
Say hello to the taco salad of my dreams.
It’s no secret that I have a fierce fondness for shrimp tacos. If you follow me on Instagram you already know just how often I’m throwing those bad boys into my face.
These Shrimp Taco Salad bowls are just as legendary and so. flipping. tasty.
In fact, I’m pretty sure they’re even better because I can fit eleventy more pounds of toppings (and even more spicy shrimp) into my salad bowl than I can inside a teensy weensy soft taco shell.
Tasty Taco Salad Toppings
My Quick Fridge Pickled Vegetables are a great topping option for these shrimp taco salads or you could go the salsa route and top it with Avocado Corn Salsa, Black Bean Salsa, or Mango Jalapeño Salsa.
Chopped avocado or guacamole is always a fantastic addition too!
This time around I went with a mix of chopped red cabbage, sweet corn, spicy sliced jalapeños, flavorful scallions, chopped cherry tomatoes, and a MOUNTAIN of fresh Pico de Gallo.
For a fantastic little crouton-esque crunch to the salad, I added a big ole handful of crushed tortilla chips from the bottom of the chip bag.
Is that not the most perfect method for broken tortilla chips!? DOOOO IT!
Taco Salad Dressing
When it comes to dressing for my shrimp taco salad, I’m a sucker for a good restaurant-style ranch dressing.
Sometimes I’ll even mix Sriracha chili sauce into the dressing to give it a fun Sriracha Ranch twist, just like the sauce I use on my shrimp tacos and seared salmon tacos.
Shrimp Taco Salad
Since I make these for just my husband and I, the recipe below serves two. Feel free to halve it if you only need a single salad bowl or double the recipe to feed a larger fam. It’s crazy flexible!
You can even set up a shrimp taco salad bar for your family/friends and set out an array of toppings for everyone to customize their own salad bowl!
Shrimp Taco Salad
- 8-9 oz raw shrimp
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 3-4 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup pico de gallo (see recipe below)
- ½ cup chopped red cabbage
- 2-4 TBSP fresh chopped scallions (greens and whites)
- 1 jalapeño , sliced thin
- ¼ cup crushed tortilla chips
- lime wedges to garnish (optional)
HOMEMADE PICO DE GALLO
- 2 cups finely chopped ripe tomatoes (I like using Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper , finely chopped (seeds/ribs removed)
- ¼-⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ lime , juiced
- ½-¾ tsp fine sea salt , or season to taste
- Clean and peel fresh raw shrimp. Thaw first if using frozen. Tails may be left on or off based on preference.
- Set prepped shrimp in the fridge, covered, while you prep your veggies for the salad.
- To make the pico, finely dice your tomato, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. Combine with freshly squeezed lime juice and sea salt. Mix well and set aside. This recipe makes enough for this salad plus some extra to snack on with tortilla chips the following day!
- Finely chop romaine lettuce and red cabbage. Thinly slice jalapeño and scallions.
- Cook corn via your favorite method. You can grill or boil it right on the cobb then cut it off for this salad, or simply steam from frozen.
- Lastly cook the shrimp. Pat shrimp dry and season with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix well to coat both sides.
- Heat a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat with 1-2 of oil and sauté your shrimp. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes until shrimp curl and become opaque. The cook time will depend on the heat setting you choose and the size of your shrimp, but regardless they’ll be perfectly cooked in a matter of minutes.
- Divide lettuce, veggies, pico de gallo, and crushed tortilla chips between two bowls. Choose your dressing from the list above (I used my homemade ranch) and dig in!
If you get a chance to try these tasty shrimp taco salad bowls, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
More Taco Night Favorites
Get your vegan on with some tasty Roasted Cauliflower Tacos. I absolutely LOVE these!
If you love salmon you have gooooot to try my Seared Salmon Tacos — they’re the ultimate fish tacos and are topped with the most amazing honey lime slaw!
Ok no more chatting! Time for you to race to the kitchen so you can make an EPIC shrimp taco salad! Get to it!