These spicy vegetarian Buffalo Chickpea Sweet Potatoes are super easy to make and oh so delicious!
Stuffed sweet potatoes are basically their own food group around here!
It’s a crazy easy option for a hearty meal during the week, and you can even prep ahead by baking your sweet potatoes in advance and reheating as needed with an array of tasty toppings.
Empty the crisper drawer and use up random bits of veggies and leftovers you have handy in the fridge, or go minimalist with just a few go-to toppings.
The possibilities are endless!
I’ve made it a goal to blog my favorite stuffed sweet potatoes here so y’all can partake on the potato stuffage too. Recent favorites include Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for a tasty twist on taco night (or an epic way to use up taco night leftovers) and Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes featuring your choice of vegan, vegetarian, or T-Rex chili.
Today we’re going veggie with these Buffalo Chickpea Sweet Potatoes and HOLY COW they’re awesome!
Buffalo Chickpea Sweet Potatoes
These spicy + saucy stuffed sweet potatoes are loaded with crispy roasted chickpeas tossed with a blend of spices and tossed in a tasty homemade buffalo sauce. For added flavor and crunch, I topped these bad boys with chopped cabbage and sliced green onion, then cooled them down with a drizzle of ranch dressing. SO. FLIPPING. GOOD.
special diets and swaps
As written these saucy spuds are gluten-free and vegetarian.
Looking to whip up vegan version? Let’s do this! Swap the butter in the buffalo sauce for your favorite sub like Earth Balance or a little coconut oil, or simply dress the chickpeas with straight up Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Use a little, or a lot to make them as spicy or as mild as you’d like. As for the ranch dressing, use your favorite homemade or store-bought vegan ranch — there are some great ones out there!
Serve them up alongside some crunchy celery sticks or a healthy salad! We love it alongside my Healthy Tomato Cucumber Salad and/or this Mexican Kale Salad.
For a speedy time-saving option, I’ll include microwave instructions along with the baked sweet potato instructions below. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chickpea Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes (medium or small work great)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3 TBSP Frank's Red Hot sauce I used 3 TBSP
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (seeds, stem, + veins removed)
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
TASTY TOPPING OPTIONS:
- ranch or blue cheese dressing for drizzling
- shredded cabbage or slaw
- chopped green onion/scallions
- chopped or thinly sliced red onion
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- crumbled blue cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- extra hot sauce
- sliced jalapeño
- choose your favorites and add any combo you'd like!
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce your potatoes a few times with a fork and place on a foil lined baking sheet. For extra crispy skins, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until tender.
- While your potatoes bake, drain the chickpeas in a colander or sieve and rinse well.
- Pat the chickpeas dry with a clean dishtowel or paper towels. The drier the chickpeas, the crispier your end result. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for a few minutes, and remove any chickpea skins that come off while drying.
- Toss with oil and salt until all your little garbanzos are coated, then arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast on the center rack for 20-25 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. I add them to the oven with my sweet potatoes after they've been in the oven for 20-25 minutes usually.
- Once your potatoes, allow to cool slightly and slice vertically.
- Snag your chickpeas from the oven and, while still hot, add them to a bowl with your paprika (I used regular, not smoked, for this one) and if you'd like some extra heat, you can add a little cayenne pepper to the mix too. I always do! Toss/mix to coat.
- Whisk melted butter and hot sauce together and pour over chickpeas. Mix until coated.
- Taste and adjust as needed. This is the part where I start eating the entire thing of buffalo chickpeas with a spoon. My bad!
- Divide your saucy chickpeas every between the 4 sweet potatoes and top with diced jalapeños, green onion, and all your favorite toppings from the list above! I went with chopped cabbage, ranch, and extra hot sauce - YUM!
If you get a chance to try these buffalo chickpea sweet potatoes, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
hungry for more?
Get your buffalo chickpea fix with this healthy vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwich or T-Rex it up with my crazy popular Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowls. Feeling more of a pescatarian vibe? Let shrimp in on the fun with these Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wrap Tacos!
Looking for more stuffed sweet potatoes? Check out my collection of 8 Ways to Stuff a Sweet Potato and get ready to rock your spuds!
:: pin it for later ::
Sounds delicious! Making these for supper tomorrow!
Ahhh yay! So excited for you to try them Suzy!
This would be a meal in itself! Thank you for sharing!