Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash is a totally crave-worthy lightened up version of the classic!
It’s that magical time of year where football rivalry is alive and kicking. Though we’re not all rooting for the same team, one thing we can all agree on is the need for awesome game day eats! After all, you can’t spell football without FOOD!
That’s a lie, yes you most certainly can… but wouldn’t FOODball be just as fun!?
Whether you’re all about the big game, only in it for the commercials, or not sure which teams are playing… there’s a pretty good chance you’re still ridiculously excited about stuffing your face.
It’s no secret, but I’m easily team getting-tissues-ready-for-the-Clydesdale-horses-ad and team hungry-hungry-hippo so naturally, you know where to find me.
By. The. Food.
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowls
Serving up something substantial amist the mountains of appetizers? This should be it!
We were on our best behavior all month (well, sorta) rocking those New Year’s resolutions like a boss, but now it’s time for FOODball folks!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowls
Why should appetizers have all the fun? This Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash is loaded with flavor and a totally crave-worthy dinner option.
- 2 medium spaghetti squash (6-7 inches long)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds, stem, + veins removed)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ranch or blue cheese dressing for drizzling (optional)
- extra grated cheese for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. For easy cutting, feel free to stick each squash in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften it up just a tad. The knife slides through way easier this way!
- Next grab a lipped baking sheet or a rimmed baking dish and line with foil.
- To prevent sticking, rub the cut side of the squash with a teeny bit of olive oil and place face down on your baking sheet.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of your squash, and the exterior of the squash will be visibly softened.
- The squash can be roasted and stored in the fridge for a few days if you'd like to meal prep and plan ahead for a speedier dinner. You can also make the whole shebang one weekend and pop it in the fridge until about 30 minutes before dinnertime. Wind up with a little bit leftover? It reheats marvelously the following day! Now let's get back to the recipe!
- While the squash roast, cook chicken via your favorite method or squirrel away leftovers from the previous night's dinner.
- Shred your chicken and combine in a medium bowl with your cheese (I used cheddar and mozzarella), hot sauce, melted butter, Greek yogurt, jalapeño, green onion, salt, and pepper.
- Using a fork, scrape the spaghetti squash bowls to release the delicious strands of squash and mix with your cheesy buffalo chicken mixture.
- Top each squash with a little extra cheese and place face-up on your baking sheet. Cover the baking dish in foil, leaving a little room at the top (like a tent!) so the cheese doesn't stick.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for around 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. For golden bubbly cheese, remove the foil at the end, then change oven setting to broil on high and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onion, a drizzle of your favorite dressing, and even extra hot sauce!
I roasted 1lb of bone-in skin-on chicken thighs but you can use anything you have on hand and use your favorite method: crockpot, rotissere, baked, poached... this recipe is a great use for leftover chicken too!
Serve with celery sticks or a veggie salad for a delicious crunch and extra veggies!
Nutrition Facts are an estimate gathered using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed based on swaps and extras.
My general rule of thumb for my stuffed spaghetti squash recipes that each spaghetti squash “boat” is it’s own serving. If you’re rounding the meal out with substantial sides, you could easily cut each one in half and serve 8. Need a smaller serving? No problem! Halve the recipe and you’re good to go.
This cheesy buffalo chicken spaghetti squash is a fantastic way to revamp leftover chicken from the night before.
When in doubt – stick it in a squash!
Feel free to play around with the cheeses in this one. Cheddar, Gouda, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, Havarti… choose one or a combination! If you’re feeling extra indulgent you can also swap cream cheese for the Greek yogurt. Is my cheese fandom showing? Ill try to keep it together!
I don’t typically have blue cheese handy but it’s a perfect pairing for buffalo chicken dishes like this one. You could also skip the ranch and drizzle a little blue cheese dressing on top if you’re feeling feisty!
Feel free to skip the chicken and go pepper + onion crazy in it’s place!
You can also try out my vegetarian Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash recipe which is equally amazing and totally crave-worthy!
Whatever you do, get this easy cheesy buffalo chicken spaghetti squash in. your. face. STAT!
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash-a-palooza:
- Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash
- Cheesy Pesto Chicken and Veggie Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna — NEW!!!
:: pin it ::
If you get a chance to try these Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowls, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!