This Cheesy Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is a tasty low-carb and gluten-free alternative to traditional lasagna that is sure to satisfy all your comfort food cravings! The cheesy ricotta veggie filling is absolute perfection.
Today we’re diving face-first into the 8th sassy stuffed spaghetti squash recipe in my arsenal and I’m so ridiculously excited to share this one with you!
I typically whip this one up whenever I’m meal prepping freezer meals for the month. When Fall and Winter roll around, I’m never without a freezer full of homemade veggie stuffed shells. They’re a staple around here! To mix things up a bit, I’ll typically double the filling to make this EPIC vegetarian lasagna spaghetti squash for dinner.
While I’m chopping and prepping away, the squash roasts itself into buttery deliciousness in the oven. A little squash fluff here, a hearty dose of stuffing there, and a trip back into the oven to melt the cheesy topping and viola! Dinner is served!
There are two equally awesome ways to serve this up. The first is my usual trick of stuffing each spaghetti squash boat to the brim and diving in with a fork. I love a good veggie bowl!
If you’re serving a small crowd, large crowd, or just popping this in the fridge for later, you can whip this bad boy up casserole style instead! It’s a little more lasagna-like and just as delicious. For this particular recipe, this technique is actually my favorite. This way I can load it to the brim with veggies and serve up as big or as little of a serving as I’d like. Much like traditional lasagna, the leftovers are fantastic the next day and will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Cheesy Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 large spaghetti squash (approx. 3 lbs)
- olive oil for drizzling
- ½ cup onion (white or yellow)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 5 oz mushrooms (approx. 2 cups chopped)
- 2-3 oz fresh spinach (approx. 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend (I love using Mrs. Dash)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 oz grated mozzarella
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- For easy cutting, feel free to microwave for 4-5 minutes to soften it up just a tad. The knife slides through much easier this way!
- Next grab a lipped baking sheet or a rimmed baking dish.
- Rub the cut side of the squash with a teeny bit of olive oil.
- Place inside a baking dish or atop rimmed baking sheet and roast face-down for about 40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of your squash so adjust accordingly. Once ready, the once rock-hard exterior of the squash will be visibly softened with a tender interior.
- While the squash roasts, start prepping your cheese and veggies.
- Chop your onion, garlic, mushrooms, spinach and tomato, separately, then set aside.
- Bring a pan or skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sauté onion until tender and slightly golden, then add garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until softened. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg white, freshly grated parmesan cheese, fresh chopped spinach, Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic powder.
- Drain your mushroom/onion mixture and add to the bowl along with your chopped tomato.
- Mix well, adding a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your squash is ready, allow to cool slightly, then use a fork to separate the squash's interior into spaghetti-like strands.
- Remove a little of the squash will help you better stuff these bad boys.
- Take a little out and add your filling to the squash, swirling to mix.
- Top with remaining spaghetti squash strands and stir.
- Next add a few spoonfuls of your favorite spaghetti sauce on top and finish off with your grated mozzarella cheese. Add extra of either if desired.
- Add an optional pinch of crushed red pepper flakes on top (skip if sensitive to heat) and bake at 350 degrees F for around 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- For golden flecks of mozzarella, switch oven to broil on HIGH for 2 minutes at the end and remove once bubbling.
- Serve piping hot with a healthy side salad or roasted veggies for a balanced meal that's sure to rock your plate! Enjoy!
If you get a chance to try this Cheesy Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Pair this cheesy vegetarian spaghetti squash lasagna with a big green salad topped with homemade Italian dressing or a side of seasonal roasted veggies! Indulging a little? Garlic bread would also be an amazing addition!
so. . . how was it?!
Fantastic! I’m so butt-crazy in love with my stuffed shell filling and it tastes simply amazing swirled into spaghetti squash!
Paul’s favorite thing about this dish is that the filling is so flavorful, that it actually masks what he refers to as “that squashy taste” of the spaghetti squash. I actually find SS to be the least “squashy” squash of the bunch but he insists that this lasagna-stuffed version remedies any such taste that he could detect. I’m guessing if you’re new to spaghetti squash or on the fence about squash in general, this recipe would be a great one to start with!